Local Drive Quota?

AuviiAuvii Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am curious if it is possible to set a quota on a client pc for their local drive. I know there are several alternative methods to somewhat reach this goal but I want to be able to set the quotas just as if I am doing so for a network/share drive. Ideally I want to control what the user can see on their Local C drive. The drive could be 200gb but I only want them to see 50gb and only be able to write that much data.

Is something like that possible?

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can set a quota on a client PC just as you can on a Server. Right click on the drive (in this case C:\) and click on the quota tab. There you can limit how much storage space a user has to save data. If you want to limit what a user can "see" on a drive you can do so via NTFS permissions.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I know on the local computer you can go to the properties on the drive in question and set quotas there. I am not sure you can prevent a user from actually seeing the space available however.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • AuviiAuvii Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it possible to apply those quota limits from the server rather then moving to each client physically? I know I could remotely do it, but maybe a faster way or some sort of group policy?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree, I don't think you can prevent the user from seeing how much space is available on the drive (maybe a 3rd party utility can do this). And if you want to use quotas, you need to make sure the drive is formatted as NTFS.
    Yeah being able to see the total drive space is not important so much as being able to set drive quotas without having to log into every client. I was hoping to find a way to do this, but have not been so lucky. I am definitely noobish on this so any information is awesome :)
    Thats great, thanks a bunch for the help!