How to create a service on W2K3?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Now that we talkd about how many women work at the IT dept., can you tell me how can I create a service on Windows 2003/2000 Server. Please don't refer me to Google or Microsoft :)

If you've manually created services, please tell me things I should know. I've got a bad experience working with services. This is on a production web server and I want to be able create a service for a utility.

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you referring to running an application as a service like svchost? or writing an application that runs as a service? or a web service?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You mean like programming in Visual Studio, or more along the lines of using sc.exe from the resourse kit?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I mean an executable program, a Win32 application. We have a small utility at work that would provide status of servers; it has .exe extension, so how can we have this program like a service that would automatically start once or if the server is rebooted?

For example, assume ZoneAlarm doesn't have a service associated with it and it doesn't load when you restart your PC. How do you make it a service (putting it in startup is not an option)
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    sprkymrk wrote:
    You mean like [...] along the lines of using sc.exe from the resourse kit?

That's what I'm looking for. I have a bad experience with sc.exe whereby I could neither start, stop [it had been stuck in stopping state] nor delete a buggy, but critical service, so I don't want to touch open wires icon_lol.gif and hoping to know about pitfalls, if any.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I have a script at work that I wrote for just this thing.

I will try and remember and get it posted up tomorrow.

If you dont mind adding a tool on the server to do this here are some great tools.

Firedaemon
    srvany
    XYNTService

Good luck!