what is a proxy servers?

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
i just wonder if a caching proxy server is still in use nowadays. when i was in school i remember the admin is using an NT server and referring to it as proxy. it also acts as the default gateway.
i dont have knowledge about it since im using a router to act as the default gateway. thnks.
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    its typically, at least to my knowledge, with the firewall...in something like ISA 2004/2006.

Its for faster retrieval of web content, and helps unauthorized connections.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    The bigger ISPs use caching proxy servers to give the appearance of faster Internet access by caching Web pages of the sites most heavily-visited by its customers. Proxies are also used to monitor all in/outbound network traffic, and filter traffic at layers 3 and 7 (no IMing and naughty Web sites during business hours!).
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    does windows server 2003 have the capability or the a feature to serve as the default gateway? or is there a built in feature to serve as a proxy just like winroute?
    im searching technet site but i cant find a topic about it. icon_confused.gif
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Yes, all you have to do is set up your Server. You have to set up Routing and Remote Access, see here.

After you set up your server, then you will either have to set your clients up manually to point to your server or change the info in your DCHP server to automatically give out that info (default Gateway).

As for caching, I believe you will have to get another product like ISA to do that.

Hope this helps

-ken
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out the Proxy servers section in the following TechNotes for some more information on proxies:
    www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/internetconnections.shtml

The 'default gateway' is a network node where all traffic not destined for the local network is send to and can be a router, firewall or proxy server for example. A Windows 2003 server can function as either of these so yes, a Windows 2003 server can be the default gateway for other devices in the network, in which case it would have two network interfaces.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    NinjaBoy wrote:

Hope this helps

-ken

it really helps. :) thank you very much.

brad, jd, webmaster thank you for the great help. :)