Which cellphone brand is high in quality?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
When it comes to voice quality, which cellphone brand is the best in quality?

It's been over three years since I've upgraded my cellphone. Tomorrow I'm making a trip to my local cellphone store, and don't wanna be robbed off by the salesguy/girl :)

Comments

• paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I just got the AT&T Slider and I'm pretty happy with it. Voice quality and functionality is great, since its packed with Windows Mobile 6. It just takes a little getting used to switching from a flip phone that fits perfectly on your ear.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875998228
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Some manufacturers are actually better with some servce providers than with others. GSM vs CMDA networks combined with the software various phone companies use on the phones is where the difference is noticed. Last I researched, Motorola was rated highly with the Verizon carrier but not so high for AT&T as an example.

I think the best thing to do would be to choose the features you want the phone to have and then read reviews, check consumer reports, or talk to people that have those specific models to narrow it down. Just because a company makes good phones in general doesn't mean that that the model you are looking for is a good one. I don't think I could make a blanket statement that BRAND A is the best, BRAND B is the second best, and BRAND C is terrible.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are a lot of factors that must be taken into account. For example, some phones/carriers work inside our apartment while others do not. Most places give you 30 days to try something out. Pick up something with the features that you require and see if it meets your needs. Don't be afraid to take it back if it doesn't.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    If you are talking just the brand quality, and not including service or provider quality, the BlackBerry Curve 8300 has my vote (and drool).
    JDMurray wrote:
    If you are talking just the brand quality, and not including service or provider quality, the BlackBerry Curve 8300 has my vote (and drool).

Ooo... That does look sexy. Too bad all these neat devices appear to be exclusive to AT&T.

Personally, I'm going to wait to purchase a new phone until the Google Android devices start appearing in mid-2008.

Google Android Info
    dynamik wrote:
    Ooo... That does look sexy. Too bad all these neat devices appear to be exclusive to AT&T.
    Other carriers may support other BlackBerries. For example, Verizon has the BlackBerry 8830, which is more expensive than the 8300, but it's the one I'd need to get for my carrier.
    dynamik wrote:
    Personally, I'm going to wait to purchase a new phone until the Google Android devices start appearing in mid-2008.
    Don't be an early adopter for new hardware unless you have lots of money to burn. The safe bet is to wait for the 3rd-generation of any device. The Apple iPhone is an example of a device that will not be truly competitive with much more mature devices like the BlackBerry until its 3rd-gen.
  • Univ3rs@lUniv3rs@l Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't get the razor....ugh, it falls apart within eight months. I have gone through two so far...within a few months you start hearing this sound that is like a tea kettle going off in your ear and then the key pad starts falling apart. It's just a bad phone!!!

I so want "The Wing" from t-mobile. Looks pretty cool! I haven't been able to test it yet.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Other carriers may support other BlackBerries. For example, Verizon has the BlackBerry 8830, which is more expensive than the 8300, but it's the one I'd need to get for my carrier.

That's the one I'd get from Sprint. I actually like Sprint's service quite a bit, but they seem to have the weakest selection of phones.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Don't be an early adopter for new hardware unless you have lots of money to burn. The safe bet is to wait for the 3rd-generation of any device. The Apple iPhone is an example of a device that will not be truly competitive with much more mature devices like the BlackBerry until its 3rd-gen.

The 3rd generation of Android will still be in beta. It's a Google product. Might as well take the plunge right away :)
    dynamik wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:

That's the one I'd get from Sprint. I actually like Sprint's service quite a bit, but they seem to have the weakest selection of phones.

I hate Sprint/Nextel. Way too expensive. I was paying 60 a month for 500 minutes, I'm now with AT&T paying 40 a month for 450 minutes plus roll-over.
    paintb4707 wrote:
    I hate Sprint/Nextel. Way too expensive. I was paying 60 a month for 500 minutes, I'm now with AT&T paying 40 a month for 450 minutes plus roll-over.

Two lines and 1000 shared minutes only runs me $65, which seems to be in the same ballpark as everyone else. If I dropped the second line, I'd still have 1000 minutes for $45.
    dynamik wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:

Two lines and 1000 shared minutes only runs me $65, which seems to be in the same ballpark as everyone else. If I dropped the second line, I'd still have 1000 minutes for $45.

Must be in your area. It's either that or its because I was coming from Nextel before they merged. You'd think if the rates went down they'd give me a discount. Ha! icon_rolleyes.gif
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Must be in your area. It's either that or its because I was coming from Nextel before they merged. You'd think if the rates went down they'd give me a discount. Ha! icon_rolleyes.gif

Nextel was always significantly more expensive. I was with them before I moved to Sprint a few years ago. I basically added a second line and doubled my minutes at no additional cost when I moved to Sprint.

Personally, I think they'd keep charging you the higher rate and hope you wouldn't notice icon_eek.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    The 3rd generation of Android will still be in beta. It's a Google product.
    Wouldn't that be hilarious if the logo on the Android itself had "beta" next to it? Google would sure get props for having a sense of humor.
  • larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    work has saddled me wit hteh Motorla Q adn I really like. teh battery life cold be better but overall I am happy. The otehr option was a treo.

I am interested in google's new phone and service, this will be intertesting!!
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Had my new phone a couple of weeks and i have to say its fantastic, it takes seconds to reply to a text that would have taken 2-3 minutes on a normal keypad

XDA Trion

http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/pay-monthly/o2/xda-trion/

Lee H