Options

dhcp server question

dnt123dnt123 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I just installed DHCP Server on Windows Server 2003 and my client computer running windows xp media center is unable to obtain an IP address automatically. I'm really stumped and I was wondering if I am missing any settings listed below or doing anything wrong:

Windows Server 2003 settings
On my Windows Server 2003 the scope has a distribution range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.10
My default gateway is the ip address of my router 192.168.0.1 and this address is excluded
My scope is activated
DHCP is "authorized"
My DNS Server address is 192.168.0.4 and it is statically addressed on TCP/IP
192.168.0.4 is also excluded in the distribution range.
and domain name is contoso.com

003 Router 192.168.0.1
006 DNS Servers 192.168.0.4
015 DNS Domain Name contoso.com

Windows XP Settings
TCP/IP on my client machine is set to obtain an IP address automatically.

I've already tried ipconfig/release , ipconfig/flushdns, ipconfig/renew and netsh commands on my client computer.

I receieve an error message on my command prompt stating "unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out." after I execute ipconfig/renew.

My computers are connected to a Cisco 2900 catalyst switch with one vlan which is connected to a Cisco 2600 series router. If I statically assign an IP address to any of these client computers and give it an ISP DNS IP address it works fine but I want my server to assign dhcp ip address to my client computers instead. Any ideas? I would appreciate any ideas thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What does it say in your DHCP logs on your Server 2003 machine (%windir%\System32\Dhcp)?

Do you have another cheap linksys, d-link, etc. switch or hub you could connect the computers to? Maybe try that and see if the problem lies somewhere in the switch. You could also connect a machine directly to your server with a crossover cable.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. Im just getting event ID 24 and 25

24 IP address cleanup operation has began.
    25 IP address cleanup statistics.

24,12/02/07,00:00:51,Database Cleanup Begin,,,,
    25,12/02/07,00:00:51,0 leases expired and 0 leases deleted,,,,
    25,12/02/07,00:00:51,0 leases expired and 0 leases deleted,,,,

I have a d-link gamer lounge router and a rj45 crossover cable. I'm gonna try those options and see if it works right now, hopefully that might pinpoint the problem thanks.
  • Options
    It doesn't look like the DHCP broadcast requests are even reaching the server. The log would contain the requests it's receiving. 24 and 25 are just regular maintenance.

I would guess that it's just your switch's configuration. If you're able to get it working with a consumer switch/hub, try posting in the CCNA forum. I'm sure someone there would be able to help you out (that's beyond my range of expertise - not for long though :D).
  • Options
    Unfortunately I only have a cisco switch to test it on. I switched my router to the d-link and that didnt work, also I tried to directly connect the computers together with a cat 5e crossover cable but it didnt work out either. I'll check the ccna forum, thanks!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure the Server 2003 firewall is not turned on.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks alot!!! lol, it was the firewall on the server!
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Make sure the Server 2003 firewall is not turned on.
    bowing.gif
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    and that's why he's the mcse mod :)
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometimes it's a matter of strategically waiting for someone else to trouble shoot just long enough and then - BAM - you shoot a quick comment in like a "hail mary" from mid court. If it goes in the hoop you're a hero. :P
    All things are possible, only believe.