sysprep or unattended install

chelsea1987chelsea1987 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
ok i have a report to write, i have 15 computers in workgroup environment, do i use sysprep or an unattended install to deploy windows vista to all these computers, which do have all the same hardware?? please help!!

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ok i have a report to write, i have 15 computers in workgroup environment, do i use sysprep or an unattended install to deploy windows vista to all these computers, which do have all the same hardware?? please help!!

That would depend on how you want to do the install. If you plan to clone the harddrive or use somthing like remote installation service (RIS) then sysprep is what you want. Since the hadware is all the same this would be a good option but cloning will require a 3rd party imaging system like ghost. If you want to do an unattended install of windows then the answer file will work for you, this basically will go through the whole install but instead of asking te user for the answers to the install program's questions, it will get them from the answer file.

You can also use an answer file to complete the mini setup that will be required if you sysprep the machine then clone them.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never performed a sysprep for Vista but if its anything like XP its very simple. It looks using sysprep would be your best bet. I use sysprep with a unattended answer file and a Sonix HDD duplicator.
  • chelsea1987chelsea1987 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i want to choose the fastest, cheapest, easiest way to deploy it, also part of the report is that the computers also need a certain software program to do their jobs so how do i install that?? individually?? or what?

and why would i use a sysprep image or an unattended install??
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With Sysprep, you install the OS on a single machine, run sysprep to strip out the unique information for that machine, create duplicate disks for each target machine, run the mini-setup to setup each machine with its own unique information, and that's it. You can install other applications before duplicating the disk, but you need to keep licensing terms in mind. You can't just install a copy of Photoshop then duplicate it 15 times ;)

With an unattended installation, you just create an answer file, so you don't have to configure the time zone, etc. for each installation. This would just allow the installation to complete automatically, without asking you for input. You still would have to do a full installation on each machine. This would work for any machine while Sysprep only works with machines that have nearly identical hardware. Here's more information on Sysprep: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

[edit]
    You can also use sysprep for RIS, as dtlokee mentioned.
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Set the computer up the way you want it, all user accounts, settings, software, etc.. Use sysprep to reseal the OS and to reset the SID. Then ghost all of your machines.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    You can't just install a copy of Photoshop then duplicate it 15 times ;)

You can't? icon_eek.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    dtlokee wrote:
    You can't? icon_eek.gif

Let me rephrase that. you're not supposed to icon_twisted.gif
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    As far as a report is concerned I would suggest Sysprep is the best way to go and will provide you with an easy install if you expand the workgroup or experience any problems.

However personally if all PC's were in one place and only required a vanilla OS I would just use an fully automated unattended install.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Set the computer up the way you want it, all user accounts, settings, software, etc.. Use sysprep to reseal the OS and to reset the SID. Then ghost all of your machines

This is your answer in a nutshell.

In one of my previous jobs in a secondary school, we had 15 - 20 different programs installed to every client, the image with all software installed was 12 gig, this was then imaged to all other PC's with same hardware, very easy and very quick

and why would i use a sysprep image or an unattended install??

How would you image other PC's, if you dont use Sysprep you would pretty much be doing manual installs on all of them
    ok, so ive decided to go with a sysprep image...now this "company" is made up, theres 14 computers, all in cubicles in the same building, same floor, they have the same OS and hardware.... they want to know why i chose sysprep, how will i deploy other software, they want to know how my network environment will be affected, , as the "support administrator" i was the minimize my time in maintenance and repair so what method will i use to set computer and user restrictions??
    oh and with sysprep i have to have 3rd party disk imaging software, what do you all recommend??
    ok, so ive decided to go with a sysprep image...now this "company" is made up, theres 14 computers, all in cubicles in the same building, same floor, they have the same OS and hardware.... they want to know why i chose sysprep, how will i deploy other software, they want to know how my network environment will be affected, , as the "support administrator" i was the minimize my time in maintenance and repair so what method will i use to set computer and user restrictions??

Are you in an Active Directory environment? You can administer user and computer settings as well as install some software applications with GPOs.
    oh and with sysprep i have to have 3rd party disk imaging software, what do you all recommend??

Something as simple as Norton Ghost should do the trick. Otherwise you can go the fancy route and use a disk duplicator as mentioned above.
    now why did you choose GPOs to set the policies and restrictions?? and how do i install the software, individually or can it go on a sysprep image?? and my network is just a typical workgroup environment, will sysprep affect that?
    now why did you choose GPOs to set the policies and restrictions?? and how do i install the software, individually or can it go on a sysprep image?? and my network is just a typical workgroup environment, will sysprep affect that?

GPOs are really only advantageous in an Active Directory (Server 2000 or 2003) environment. You can configure all your settings in one location, and roll them out to all your users and computers (or a subset of each, depending on your needs) in one fell swoop. Otherwise, you'd have to go from computer to computer and manually configure them.

If you're not using Active Directory (all computers are just in a workgroup), you could probably save a little time by configuring a single computer's local policy, exporting those settings, and then importing them to each additional machine.

What software do you need to install? You either need to be able to enter the licensing information after or have some volume license agreement where you don't need to worry about entering keys, serial numbers, etc.

You won't encounter any problems using sysprep within workgroups.
    well i was going to install Windows Vista but i can install any OS i want, dont know which is the best for a small company that has all the same hardware and software, its just a data entry company, im locking down all the computers so they can only assess the entry software, i dont need them surfing the web and stuff.....are you saying i should use server 2003?? then use GPOs for the policies and restrictions??when do i install the software??and is there a way i can deploy it??can i install the software on the sysprep image??
    Vista is fine as long as you have drivers for all your hardware and your software supports it. I like the new look and functionality of Vista, but I have significant problems at home and at work, both of which are new machines. XP is a safer bet, but it's up to you.

A Server 2003 setup would be ideal, but if you're not experienced with the technology, I wouldn't recommend setting it up. You don't want to get in over you head. You can add a couple of Windows Server machines and convert your workgroup to a domain at any time.

You're going to have to speak with the company that developed your software to see what the best way to deploy it is. Just tell them what you're trying to do; I'm sure they can help you out.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

The impact on the newtork depends on your deployment method

To minimise network traffic while i re-image, i partition the system drive into 2

C is 30gig and D is 10gig, when you have created your image, re-seal it using sysprep

then create image file from partition, dumping it onto D

run through the sysprep on same machine, then copy the image file you have just created onto each of the D partition on other 13 PC's

then choose option, partition from image and ghost D onto C for these 13 PC's

Any questions please ask

Lee H