sysprep requirements

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
technet site says sysprep requires the same HAL and same Hardisk controller. is that hardisk controller refer to the motherboard disk controller or the hard disk itself. lets say that i have to pc with identical hardwares, if i replace the hard disk with a different brand will that affect my sysprep image. what if i change the processor from intel p4 520 to intel p4 802 D? same manufacturer. will that need a different hal?

sorry for the typo i was rushing..lols
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    As fas as am aware, mobo an cpu are the only hardware items that would change the HAL

Diff graphics card would be found on re-boot etc, diffent Hard Drive would make no difference whatsoever

Funny typo, i always read before i click submit icon_lol.gif

Lee H
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    As far as i can remeber it is based upon non-plug-and-play devices.

Noticed the typo too, sad little bunch arent we? icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hey Sie

I recognise your cert, am sure its the one i have C & G level 3, is this the first module

501 - Plan for the delivery of ICT support services and assist in the acquisition of ICT systems
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    The HAL is either a single processor or multi-processor. Assuming the P4 520 had hyperthreading enabled, it would be detected as 2 CPUs and install a multi-processor HAL. Even though it's a single physical processor, Windows will install a multi-processor HAL because of the hyperthreading.

A Pentium III and a Pentium D 802 however would use different HALs (single and multi-processor respectively).
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Lee H wrote:
    As fas as am aware, mobo an cpu are the only hardware items that would change the HAL

Diff graphics card would be found on re-boot etc, diffent Hard Drive would make no difference whatsoever

Funny typo, i always read before i click submit icon_lol.gif

Lee H

so to make it clear, do you mean cloning different brand of HD is just ok?

for all who replied thank you very much. sorry for the typo..hehe
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This should help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577
    MS KB wrote:
    Requirements for running the Sysprep tool

Before you can use the Sysprep tool, your computer hardware and related devices must meet the following requirements:

•The reference and destination computers must have compatible HALs. For example, Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC)–based MPS (multiprocessor systems) must use the same APIC HAL. A standard HAL Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC)–based system is not compatible with either the APIC HAL or the MPS HAL.

•The reference and destination computers must have the same Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) support.

•The Plug-and-Play devices on the reference and destination computers, such as modems, sound cards, network adapters, and video cards, do not have to be from the same manufacturer. However, the drivers for these devices must be available.

•Third-party disk-imaging software or disk-duplicating hardware devices are required. These products create binary images of a computer's hard disk and either duplicate the image to another hard disk or store the image in a file on a separate disk.

•The size of the hard disk on the destination computer must be at least the same size as the hard disk on the reference computer. If the destination computer has a larger hard disk, the difference is not included in the primary partition. However, you can use the ExtendOemPartition key in the Sysprep.inf file to extend the primary partition if it was formatted by using the NTFS file system.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Lee H wrote:
    Hey Sie

I recognise your cert, am sure its the one i have C & G level 3, is this the first module

501 - Plan for the delivery of ICT support services and assist in the acquisition of ICT systems

As far as i recall one of the modules did have a similar name....

I do know it was a C & G qualification thou if that helps!! :)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools