Options

Advice on CCNA -> CCNP (future CCIE) home lab?

Leonard4Leonard4 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to take my first step at becoming CCNA certified this month, with CCNP in the future and I've been doing a bunch of reading on the site here and theres so much info a person could get lost! :) After tons of reading the forums and blogs comparing models and whats needed for a CCNA and then CCNP route (with a future CCIE rack setup) I've come down to the following items to purchase to help setup a home lab:

Routers:
2x 2503 16/16 (isdn for ccna, not needed for ccnp now i hear?)
1x 2522 16/16 (for 3rd router and possible frame relay setup)

Switches:
2x 2924-XL-EN
1x 2950 (instead of a 3rd 2924-EN for QoS, worth it?)

I know this is probably overkill for a CCNA and not sure if its an exact fit for a CCNP, but it seems to fulfill most of what I can find, and part of a CCIE future rack setup. I was thinking of maybe switching out a 2503 for a 2505/2507 and still having one one isdn for the CCNA. Any advice on those?

On the switches I figured the 2924s and the 2950, or maybe two 2950s and a 3550 for some layer3 experience. Or maybe just three 2950s? Also is it worth picking up a 2511 to act as a terminal service router, or just a piece of mind from not having to move the console cable each time for separate devices? I keep seeing kits with 1900 series setups but I hear those are a deadend piece of hardware that doesn't support IPv6, are they even worth looking at? Is it required to have 16/16 for the enterprise IOS and also required for IPv6 if I've read that correctly?

I figure if I'm going to set things up I may as well do it right, and make it so that everything can work for my final goal with minimal repurchasing. :)

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    1900s are useless. Don't worry about ISDN it is not on CCNA anymore either. Layer 3 switching comes up in CCNP. IOS 12.4 is tested in CCNP now which none of the 2500s will run. Access servers are nice to have and save time later on large labs.

IMO just worry about CCNA right now. A proper CCNP/IE lab costs thousands, and probably not a wise investment at this point for you.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its probably better to read afew books before you start buying equipment.You may not even like this stuff! I say this because you mention the 1900 not supporting ipv6 as its big downfall, what type of IPV6 features are you looking for on a layer 2 switch? Anyway forget about the 1900, If you plan on going down this track of buying hardware, get yourself either a 2509 or 2511 as a must.I've never used a 2924 so i cant comment on it verses the 2950, the 2950 will give you basic switching without fancy qos.Routers,buy what you like, my advise the cheaper the better, go with basic 2610s or 2500s.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$