Virtual PC 2007

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
If anyone uses this program for testing purposes, maybe you could help me out.

I've set everything up, but when I try to start the clients, nothing happens.

When I try to start Windows 2003 Server, it seems to just hang when trying to get an IP address.
When I try to start a Vista client, it eventually says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device."

Any ideas?

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Have you setup any virtual hard disks?

Check the settings on the client and check you have created these and assigned them to the client.

Do you have a floppy / CD in the drive? (Yes Virtual PC and VMware can use the physical drive)

Remove CD's and floopies and try again.

Have you ever had them working? (IE have you gone through the OS setup and installed them)

If you havent got as far as installing the OS place the correct CD in the CD drive and boot the Virtual Machine. Does it take you to the setup screen?

I dont have Virtual PC /Server infront of me at present to tell you exactly where to check / set these things. Im sure someone else can help out if thats the case.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you gotten as far as getting the Vista or 2003 OSes installed on the machines yet? Think of it just like setting up a physical Windows box. You have to boot to the install media, install the OS, etc. The wizard that VPC provides only configured the recommended specs for the OS you specified, you actually have to install the OS on them manually.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    jahman182 wrote:

This is what worked best for me.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.