Connect a LAN to a WAN

TraiCauVongTraiCauVong Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi bros, I have a lab like this
samplerh9.th.jpg
All network in LAN is working ok. I used one VWware machine and two Dyngen routers connected to NIC of the real computer that is connecting to internet (10.0.0.0/24). I can ping from the VMware machine (thru 2 dynagen routers) to the real computer, but still can not access internet from VMware computer. When I ping the default gateway (10.0.0.13icon_cool.gif, only the real machine can be successful, others fail, as well as other servers like yahoo.com or google.com.
Plz help me out. I got stuck in here for nearly a week. icon_eek.gif
Be brave, move on!!!

Comments

• Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay a couple of things
    1. You probably do not have a default route on your two routers to allow you out on to the Internet.
    2. How does your PC connect to the internet do you connect via a modem or a router? If it is a router then you will need a route back to the subnet your VMWare machine is on. If it is a modem and depending on how you setup your virtual networking cards you may need a route on the PC.

How did you setup your network cards by the way are they all physical, a mix of physical and vmware network cards or do you have MS-Loopback adapters.

Also have you setup any DNS servers on your VMWare machine you will need your VMWare machine to point at a DNS server to resolve Internet names to IP addresses.
    Hmm just read your post again and you said you connected the Dynamips routers to the real NIC. I take it you only connected R3 to the real NIC and if so do you have another NIC to connect your host pc to the Internet?

If you post how you have your PC connected to your network and the configuration of your network cards on your PC I can help you more.
  • TraiCauVongTraiCauVong Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ferret999 wrote:
    Okay a couple of things
    1. You probably do not have a default route on your two routers to allow you out on to the Internet.
    2. How does your PC connect to the internet do you connect via a modem or a router? If it is a router then you will need a route back to the subnet your VMWare machine is on. If it is a modem and depending on how you setup your virtual networking cards you may need a route on the PC.

How did you setup your network cards by the way are they all physical, a mix of physical and vmware network cards or do you have MS-Loopback adapters.

Also have you setup any DNS servers on your VMWare machine you will need your VMWare machine to point at a DNS server to resolve Internet names to IP addresses.

Thanks for responding
    I used RIPv1 to advertise networks on all of the routers, so I think a default route is not necessary. My PC connects to internet thru a SpeedStream Router (RIPv1 turned on), and I see both Dynamip routers' networks in its Routing Table, too. That means all the LAN from the VMWare computer (win XP) to the SpeedStream router is working, but still they are not connecting to internet.

The VMWare machine, of course, has a virtual NIC, and the two Dynamip routers, too; the only real things here is my computer's NIC and the SpeedStream router connectin' to internet.

How to setup a DNS server in my VMware M and in the two Routers. I know the command "IP DNS LOOKUP" etc but don't know how to get the infor about DNS server (like its IP address)
    Be brave, move on!!!
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    ****EDIT****
    I just had a look at your diagram.... Your trying to route out through a PC???? Unless that is a PC running Server 2003 and with RRAS enabled this is not going to work.......

You should be connecting the speed stream to one of your routers with a interface setup on the same subnet/ip range as the speedstream device then you should create the default route to route out through the speed stream device for anything destined for the internet........

I'm assuming your using Windows XP??? If you want to share the computer's internet connection via the PC then you have to use ICS.... but if you use ICS the XP machine becomes a DHCP server and starts assigning IP's fomr the 192.168.0/0/24 range..... You cannot change this.....

******End of Edit***** Please read my original reply as well though....

he means you need a default route on your routers to allow it to route anything it doesn't know through to your internet modem/router...

eg ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x = the ip address of your speedstream hardware)

you should be able to use the IP address of your internet modem/router as the DNS server address... I know I am able to do this with my ADSL router..... If not just log into your speedstream a look for the DNS server address within the configuration settings.

Running RIP v1 doesn't mean you will be able to route out to the internet... It only means your internal subnets are known to each router as you are exchanging known routes internally between RIP neighbours via their routing tables.... One of your routers needs to know that if it doesn't know how to get to an address that it should route it through to your internet modem/router (speed stream)

if you are still having problems run a trace route to any internet site and to your adsl modem to see where the connection is dropping out... this will help the troubleshooting process.

BTW the commands IP DNS lookup is incorrect it is actually 'ip domain-name lookup' :) hehe

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I'm not sure why your speedstream devices routing table is showing your virtual subnets via RIP...... Going by your diagram the speed stream router isn't connected directly to any of your routing devices so techincally it shouldn't have any RIP neighbours therefore it shouldn't be receiving or sending out RIP updates......

What O.S is your machine running that is connected to the Speedstream device????

Is that diagram you posted a link to correct/up to date?

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • TraiCauVongTraiCauVong Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A.P.A wrote:
    I'm not sure why your speedstream devices routing table is showing your virtual subnets via RIP...... Going by your diagram the speed stream router isn't connected directly to any of your routing devices so techincally it shouldn't have any RIP neighbours therefore it shouldn't be receiving or sending out RIP updates......

What O.S is your machine running that is connected to the Speedstream device????

Is that diagram you posted a link to correct/up to date?

routingtablent9.th.jpg
    Plz have a look to the routing table that I pictured.
    I don't think all the routers need to be neighor to be advertised to each other.
    I tried both "IP DOMAIN-LOOKUP" and "IP NAME-SERVER" commands, and typed a default route, too, but they don't work since the internal network is still not connecting to the external network (except for the real computer that's running WINXP ( i remember that i mentioned this before)).
    any new idea plz.
    Be brave, move on!!!
    Okay I cannot really see your routing table that clearly, from what I can make out your physical machine has an IP address of 10.0.0.11 I think. On this machine you will need to setup routes to the 172 and 192 subnets as from what I can make out you are using 10.0.0.11 as the route to these subnets from your Internet connection.

As APA says you are going to need routing enabled on your physical host so what OS are you running? You may be able to get away with a route add command but you will have to try this otherwise you need to let us know what OS you are using.

Also from your diagram I am unsure of how R3 is connecting to your Speedstream device. Do you have two IP addresses assigned to your physical machines interface?

As for the DNS on your virtual machine you do not need to setup DNS on any of the routers you just need to copy what DNS servers are on your physical machine and enter them under the IP settings on your virtual machine.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NAT configured?

the main reason why the right-most PC box can go to the internet is it has the same subnet with the modem.
    even you configure RIP all over the LAN - it doesnt guarantee that you will access to internet without doing NAT - unless you have public IPs.

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.