Options

New Job!

janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
Well, after about 3 months of unemployment I have been able to get a job in a large IT department. It's part-time, hourly, and 2 to 6 AM, but it pays fairly well for part-time employment and there are several good perks involved. It gives me some income, some experience, and allows me time to continue study for IT subjects and certs.

Wanted to tell about this. Everyone just hang in there. Opportunities for gaining experience are out there.
"It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki

Comments

• Options
    imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let me be the first to give you the ol' Nice one!! pat on the back and giving us all a little hope! :D
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats Janmike, It hink it is well deserved.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Congratulations.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cheers!!! icon_thumright.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    AlienitoAlienito Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im happy for you...

:)
  • Options
    Thanks to all!
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Congrats Janmike. Can I ask what area you are from? I think most areas are still not hiring in the technology field, but I do see improvement in my area at least. High end programming and network admin jobs are starting to surface in the paper. Could this mean the economy is actually picking up and qualified people might actually start working again? Time will only tell.
  • Options
    I'm in Southern Indiana.

I see the same things that you describe, Programming, web developer, and Network Admin. Also see an occasional help desk and PC shop offer for hire(low wage here).

Most are from Indianapolis or maybe Evansville, but a few local. All require experience and many require Associate degree or a BS.

I'm not really willing to move from my present location, and I would have to in order to make use of opportunities in Indy and E'ville. May be occassional from Vincennes, but Vincennes has a Jr. College, so most just recruite from the students there.

Chicago IL or Cincinnati OH may have some opportunities. I seldom look there. Of course, if you're trying to stay planted, these may not be options.

I think things are picking up a bit nationwide.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Good Job Man!!! Keep it up!! icon_cool.gif
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Congrats on the new job, I hope its treating you well.
  • Options
    It's great!

I'm learning the ropes right now. You know how all these CompTIA certs stress record keeping? Now I know why!

Tech work stations are immediately adjacent to the data center with back up drives, RAID banks, and server racks. It's backups at a very early hour of the morning for me. A little help desk stuff. And more logging of events.

But, I like it. I'm seeing all the things in action that I haven't seen before and all the things I have seen too. And, a bonus, I'm using a lot of the info that I've learned in my M$ cert studies--eg. active directory searches for like, "My computer says I'm locked out of my account." scenarios. Also using all that drop-down and pop-up menu experience I've gained from using M$ programs for years. Even taught my teacher a couple of things(but not nearly as much as she's taught me). She's Cisco educated but not brave enough to do exams yet.

In addition, I've got OSs galore--2k server, NT4, Windows 3.1(an old buddy of mine), *NIX, & Novell. They're almost all there and, again, I'm at least seeing all this stuff in action.

Was almost overwhelmed on first week, but it's making more sense to me now
    There are a lot more things coming up that I'll be asked to participate in.

Final word. This is fun!!