Exchange Public folder keeps freezing when I click on it.

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
I have tried almost everything that I know to figure out whats going on. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    What version of Exchange? Have you applied all the latest service packs/hot fixes? Are you only running 1 exchange server or multiple servers? Are they freezing when you access them via OWA or Outlook?

-Ken
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    exchange 2007 with service pak 2 and I am running 1 exchange
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Are you accessing this through outlook?

can you view the contents through system manager?

Are you able to determine if the size of the folder?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    are you the only one it's happening to?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Easy solution. Stop clicking it and it won't freeze.

Does it happen on all clients? Perhaps it's a corrupt Outlook profile. If it's isolated to 1 user, re-create that user's profile.

Does this happen with all public folders or just a specific one? If it's one public folder within that public folder database, try creating a new public folder and move all the data into the new public folder and then delete the older folder. Of course this depends on what type of public folder data you're dealing with.

To check for corruption on the public folder database, you can do the following
    eseutil /G

If there is corruption, I would do a restore of your Public Folder database to a time you know it worked. This is the difficult decision if you don't know when it worked. This is because you will have your public folders offline while user's will most likely want to use it. You'll most likely want to restore a recent copy hoping it didn't have the corruption problem. If you do restore from a backup that was too recent which contained the corruption, it's rinse and repeat.

If you find there is some corruption, completely back up the database, log files, everything that pertains to that database. The following is what to do in a last resort if you have no backup and need to repair your database.

You can then do a eseutil /P (repair)
    eseutil /D
    isinteg -fix

In Exchange 2003, all data is in 4K page sizes. eseutil /P basically goes in, looks at each of those 4K pages, and if corrupted, it removes them. the eseutil /D will then go and defragment the database. Since eseutil isn't exchange aware, you will have to run isinteg afterwards to ensure that the database gets reconstructed properly for Exchange at the application level.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks