DC won't respond, please help!

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Tried joining child domain to a DC, but everytime I do I get the error below, all configurations network/credentials are correct, I am able to ping the DC but not able to join clients or additional DC.

Thanks in advance!

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain benandbrady.com:

The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
(error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.benandbrady.com

The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.

For more information on how to correct this problem, click Help.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can your ping your DNS server(s)?

Does this SRV record: _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.benandbrady.com exist?

Your DNS server is set to a public IP address. Are you running public DNS servers that also maintain DNS for Active Directory? I would have thought this would have been a private IP address. Any chance you accidentally set your DNS to your ISP instead of your internal servers?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DNS and Primary DC are all in one box, I'm able to ping, this is a LAN environment, disconnected from the Internet.

DNS is configured via "DCPROMO"

The PDC DNS points to the PDC IP address, same goes with three child DC, this are actual hardwares.

TY for the reply!
    You need to set your Primary DNS server in your network connection to the IP of the DC/DNS server. This is the part that I find odd:
    This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

That's a public IP address. Are you using public IP addresses on your internal network? You will typically be using 192.168.x.x or something.

Can you paste the output of "ipconfig /all" for the machine you're trying to promote as well as for your DC?
    This IP address is a sample from Trainsignal I'm just completely following the geeks :P

I figured out my mistake damn it cost me 2 hours of precious time haha, I'm a dumb dumb, my child DC is not pointed to the PDC/Box that hosts the DNS server as well which is 201.1.

Thanks a lot Dynamik! my next lab is actual routable IP from my ISP, to test replications.
    No problem. I don't think you wasted two hours though. This is why we practice with actual labs instead of solely reading about them. You will probably never make this mistake again :D
    It's a good mistake lol, and your right I won't make this mistake by just reading them books icon_lol.gif your actually able to pinpoint my issue right away good stuff Dynamik!
  • he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, definatley didn't waste any time, in fact it was probably the most valuble thing you could have learnt from that lab, because as dynamik said, you wont make that mistake again. Not something they "teach" in the labs/sim's