Home security.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking to setup one or two decent cameras and a motion sensing light at my house.

I want to spend as little as possible, but I want reasonably good equipment as well. I do have a couple things I would like to be able to do, though.

I would like to be able to control the cameras, or at least view them, on my home PC. I would prefer wireless, but if I could get a higher quality camera by going wired, it can be done.

I would like a motion sensing floodlight as well, but would prefer one that runs on batteries or solar power. Can anyone vouch for how well the solar panel on a floodlight would withstand the elements, given that I would have to place it outside in order for it to get enough light?

Any input at all would be much appreciated.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I constantly see this site come up for this sort of thing: http://www.x10.com

They have one of the worst websites I've ever seen, and they always use a pics of hot chicks to sell their products, which kind of turns it into some creepy voyeur thing.

It looks like they make some decent products though. I'd try and find some reviews for their stuff. People will either praise them or lead you towards other products.
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I have heard really good things about http://www.stardot-tech.com/ they may be more than what you are looking for, but being able to view them from anywhere makes them worth it imo.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Depending on where you want to view with the cameras and how your house / flat is, a couple of webcams positioned in the front window / upstairs window may suffice.

Depends who good you want it and what your willing to spend.

They can then also be streamed over the net and you can view them when your out and about.

Quick google search for wireless webcam brings up lots of results. :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    I had a stadard wired webcam set up with motion detection software on my desktop PC that is pointed out the window and set to record. I have a webcam built into my laptop when I am doing video conferencing now so I was trying to find a good use for my old one. The quality isn't very good due to the difficulty adjusting to lighting variances (since it wasn't really designed for outdoor use and constant lighting fluctuations). I tried adjusting the sensitivity slider on the motion detection software many times to fine-tune it but I either have near non-stop recording in certain weather conditions and lighting change conditions, or I can run around my car in circles without it picking me up. If you are going to do it the standard webcam idea may be more frustrating than it is worth. I gave up trying with mine.

If you want to start recording it, I would look at ones designed specifically for that purpose possibly along the lines of things linked by the previous posters.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    mossberg 500...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    mossberg 500...

WooHoo! icon_cool.gif

Depending on the situation:

Mossberg 500 12 gauge 18" barrell 00 buckshot 3" shells.
    Assualt rifle that shall go unnamed.
    Various and sundry 1911 45's.
    A nice pair of 357 magnums.
    My 1 year old husky/sheperd mix.
    My wife who can shoot straighter than me.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:
    My father use to keep a Ruger Super Blackhawk in his toolbox where he worked just in case there was a robbery. It had rubber Pachmayr grips that made it easier to shoot and the big 10 1/2" barrel. Still, there's nothing like the sound of a shotshell being chambered.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    My father use to keep a Ruger Super Blackhawk in his toolbox where he worked just in case there was a robbery. It had rubber Pachmayr grips that made it easier to shoot and the big 10 1/2" barrel. Still, there's nothing like the sound of a shotshell being chambered.

That's what's known as a "hand cannon" JD. icon_cool.gif
    Rugers are almost indestructable.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:
    That's what's known as a "hand cannon" JD. icon_cool.gif
    Rugers are almost indestructable.
    And he kept it loaded with Federal .44 Mag 240gr hollow points too, just in case a 'gator wandered into his shop I guess.