Options

Suggestions for this possible job offer

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
Ok, I could use a bit of feedback on this; I'm planning on going on to CCVP and VoIP - the local school offers VoIP and Quality of Service classes, which will prepare me for two of the five tests I'll need for a CCVP. But I'm having a dickens of a time finding a network-related job. Having no experience is a killer. I have someone possibly wanting to hire me, but in a city 200 miles from here, and it would require relocation. The job pays more than I make now, but it's not huge. It would get me experience, however, at the cost of not being able to take the two VoIP classes I was planning on beginning January. I know that self-study is also possible, but I haven't gone that route yet. The school here has lots of equipment to practice on for those two classes (and perhaps beyond). I would ultimately have to study for three of the five CCVP tests on my own anyway.

Anyone have any recommendations? Relocation is a big step.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Need experience to get a job.
    Need a job to get experience.

This battle is one of the biggest to get through and sometimes you have to make sacrifices in order to do it.

Is there nothing else closer that would provide 'some' network experience and get your foot in the door so to speak?

Depends how much you want the job.

I hope someone from the networking side comments here for you as im not really best placed to say how the field is, what they look for etc this was just my 2p's worth.

Good luck however whatever you decide, you need to look at the positives and negatives from both sides.

Dont forget, change can be good!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem is most VoIP jubs are not going to be "entry level". They will asume you have some experience in the field of networking or telecommunications. I don't know what your background is or what the job market is like where you are looking, but you should not be having too much trouble finding some sort of entry level position. You my want to consider adding more certs on top of what you already have, if the job market is that bad for entry level positions then more certifications may not fix the problem you are having.

Look for VoIP jobs in your area and see how many of them are looking for 0 - 1 yr of experience, those are your typical entry level positions.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Relocation is a big step.

I agree, relocation is a big step. Have you looked into other schools near the potential employer that could provide similar programs? Self-study is also an option, if you are not sure whether or not that would work for you maybe you should try to get another cert and see if you can keep yourself on track with the goals and timelines you set for yourself.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    dtlokee wrote:
    The problem is most VoIP jubs are not going to be "entry level". They will asume you have some experience in the field of networking or telecommunications. I don't know what your background is or what the job market is like where you are looking, but you should not be having too much trouble finding some sort of entry level position. You my want to consider adding more certs on top of what you already have, if the job market is that bad for entry level positions then more certifications may not fix the problem you are having.

Look for VoIP jobs in your area and see how many of them are looking for 0 - 1 yr of experience, those are your typical entry level positions.

This particular position isn't a VoIP job - it's networking-related. I would study for the CCVP on my own if I took it, either using an online rack rental or purchasing my own equipment *shudder* (Time to get that platinum credit card I was offered).
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can't find any entry-level networking work in Florida? The job market in western NY is awful, but there were still tons of entry-level positions available when I started looking. Either you are a) limiting yourself to jobs you apply to based on unrealistic expectations, b) not applying to the right jobs, or c) not looking in the right places.

Have you considered tech support type jobs, where you would be responsible for network-connectivity troubleshooting, etc? Might not be the most glamorous of jobs, but would serve as a foot in the door.

Where/how have you been looking for jobs and sending out your resume?

It would be a shame to have to move 200 miles for an entry-level position. I also don't think CCVP will be as useful until you start working with the technology, but that's just my opinion.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:

This particular position isn't a VoIP job - it's networking-related. I would study for the CCVP on my own if I took it, either using an online rack rental or purchasing my own equipment *shudder* (Time to get that platinum credit card I was offered).

I understand the current job isn't a VoIP job, but what I am saying is to find out *if* getting the VoIP certifications will help you find a job later or are you just wasting your time going down that path until you get an entry level position and gain some experience.

The question is this: Will you have more entry level oppertunities because you have taken the VoIP classes/certification exams you are proposing? or in 6 months are you going to be back here telling us you can't find an entry level job with CCNA and VoIP, so now you want to go get your MCSE?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    hi i had a problem getting into the networking field

i was still at university at the time so what i did was do 3 days at uni and 2 days work experience for a company

this helped me alot when it come to interviews :D

hope this helps
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sie wrote:
    Need experience to get a job.
    Need a job to get experience.

This battle is one of the biggest to get through and sometimes you have to make sacrifices in order to do it.

Is there nothing else closer that would provide 'some' network experience and get your foot in the door so to speak?

Depends how much you want the job.

I hope someone from the networking side comments here for you as im not really best placed to say how the field is, what they look for etc this was just my 2p's worth.

Good luck however whatever you decide, you need to look at the positives and negatives from both sides.

Dont forget, change can be good!

It's a catch 22 indeed.

Sie i dunno if you heared this yet....

This is why in the UK they will offer apprenticeships to all school leavers as an option rather than going onto A levels at college. This to me is the single best idea the education system has had for years. Train them the skills they need early on in life, work ethics and professional conduct being hugely beneficial. Regardless of the fact that they may not go on to this chosen career path they will still have practical qualifications, work experience and then have the oppurtunity to decide the next step in life.

I am lucky in the fact I got my foot in the door and have been given fantastic oppurtunitys by my current employer, for this I will be eternally grateful because I have leartn so much in a short space of time. Im a year in janruary 2nd and I havent stopped all year, hope the rest are the same :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Florida has a pathetic joke of an IT market/infrastructure unfortunately. You really need to look into relocation. I've been a Network/Systems Admin in Tampa/Orlando since I was 19. (23 now).

Keep in mind that if you aren't going to work in Tampa/Miami, you're extremely limited to possible positions in Florida. The bulk of jobs are in these two cities.

I worked in Orlando for a short while and the job market there is awful. Tampa has the best thus far, and I love the city.

I know of a staffing company hiring 20-25 CCNAs in Tampa, if you need a lead.

The main requirement was the CCNA, and knowledge of RIP/etc.
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    mrj wrote:
    Florida has a pathetic joke of an IT market/infrastructure unfortunately. You really need to look into relocation. I've been a Network/Systems Admin in Tampa/Orlando since I was 19. (23 now).

Keep in mind that if you aren't going to work in Tampa/Miami, you're extremely limited to possible positions in Florida. The bulk of jobs are in these two cities.

I worked in Orlando for a short while and the job market there is awful. Tampa has the best thus far, and I love the city.

Funny that you admit to living in Florida but your sig says you are in some frozen NOC. It has snowed 5inches since I entered mine today....and its 19 degrees outside.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    cacharo wrote:
    mrj wrote:

Funny that you admit to living in Florida but your sig says you are in some frozen NOC. It has snowed 5inches since I entered mine today....and its 19 degrees outside.

Leibert keeps it cold. :<

Frozen to me, 55!

It was 72 here today, I sat infront of my pool for a few hours.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The question is this: Will you have more entry level oppertunities because you have taken the VoIP classes/certification exams you are proposing? or in 6 months are you going to be back here telling us you can't find an entry level job with CCNA and VoIP, so now you want to go get your MCSE?

Exactely, you get the VoIP cert then what? That (or any certification) does not equate to experience so you will be in the same boat man. I know it is harsh, but its a fact of life. Nobody wants noobs running their networks.

To answer your question you should start looking for jobs that are entry level. If they want experience they are not entry level. You may not find networking work that doesn't require experience, but I'm sure you can find something IT related to get you started.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

Exactely, you get the VoIP cert then what? That (or any certification) does not equate to experience so you will be in the same boat man. I know it is harsh, but its a fact of life. Nobody wants noobs running their networks.

To answer your question you should start looking for jobs that are entry level. If they want experience they are not entry level. You may not find networking work that doesn't require experience, but I'm sure you can find something IT related to get you started.

Yeah I have to agree.

While I have roughly 4 years of Sys Admin experience, I have almost none when it comes to real networking (WAN, etc). I've been looking around for Junior Network xx jobs, etc. It'll be a pay cut, but in the end I believe I'll be happier. I've wanted to get more into Networking for a long time.