SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi

just wondering if anyone else is testing this

I've just installed it and so far only noticed that my RDP sessions warn me

what else has anyone noticed ??

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,047 Admin
    I'll give it a try in VMWare today and see if it's worth blogging about.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Release Candidate (RC)
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I've noticed a few other things like a tools tab no in msconfig

we quite a few useful things we sometimes forget about or as a gui way to get a user to run tools fo trouble shooting or general system info

also few additions to the control Panel from vista windows media connect and portable media devices were added
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm looking into it right now because we still have Win2000 WKS out there. We don't want to implmenet Win XP because of budget and required to rebuild the infrasturcture and current HW limitation. The key concern for me is our customized internal application is conflict with the Win XP SP1 and SP2 which is a #Y$I#U$I to fix it.

Hopefully XP SP3 will work well.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Kasor wrote:
    The key concern for me is our customized internal application is conflict with the Win XP SP1 and SP2 which is a #Y$I#U$I to fix it.
    Windows XP SP3 contains everything that's in SP1 and SP2, so it's likely not to be your solution. You need to hire someone to update your internal applications to run on more modern releases of Windows.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Say it ain't so!!! Another service pack!! I think I'll hold off on this one. SP2 f*ct me up good enough.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MS Technet wrote:
    Windows XP SP3 RC is a rollup that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates, out-of-band releases, and hotfixes. It contains a small number of new updates, but should not significantly change the Windows XP experience.

It's basically just a collection of the updates after SP2. I think it's main purpose is just to make new installations not such a damn pain to update. It's not going to have any major features like the earlier SPs.
  • Options
    After a delay caused by refocusing the Microsoft workforce to get Vista SP1 out the door, Microsoft has officially announced that Windows XP SP3 will be released next Tuesday, April 29, 2008.

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9924500-56.html

http://www.news.com/8301-10789_3-9924689-57.html
  • Options
    Forget the above. Microsoft announced it has found a problem that has kept Windows XP SP3 from being released as planned. This same problem has also resulted in Vista SP1 being pulled from Microsoft Updates.
  • Options
    hetty wrote:
    Windows XP Service Pack 3. If you want to risk it.
    Nope, that's the "broken" one. Only the offical release from Microsoft Update will be the one, true XP SP3.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been re-released. Vista Service Pack 1 has also been re-released to Microsoft Update. If you use MS Dynamics RMS install the patch before installing either service packs.

You need at least Service Pack 1 to slipstream or install.

Note: I can confirm that this 'new' Service Pack 3 has been untouched since the last release a week ago. They are file-for-file, bit-for-bit identical.
  • Options
    I should add you need to slipstream the files on a XP or 2003 system. You should not slipstream them on a Vista machine.
  • Options
    hetty wrote:
    Note: I can confirm that this 'new' Service Pack 3 has been untouched since the last release a week ago. They are file-for-file, bit-for-bit identical.
    I wonder if that means the problem they found in Vista SP1 wasn't in the Windows XP SP3 RC after all.
  • Options
    It seems to be in Vista SP1, Server 2008, XP SP3, and even some XP SP2 computers.

[quote=Microsoft]
    SYMPTOMS
    Applications that use the ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) interface in the following scenario may experience functionality issues:• An application connects to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, to Microsoft SQL Server 2000, or to SQL Server Desktop Engine (also known as MSDE 2000).
    • The application uses the SET NOCOUNT ON statement for the connection.
    • The application inserts a row into a table that has an identity column by using a Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) client-side cursor.

Note This issue only occurs if the application uses a client-side cursor. If the application uses a server-side cursor, the application is not affected.

When the application queries the identity column value of the newly inserted row, the value "0" is returned incorrectly. This may cause an application to malfunction or even data loss. Whether a malfunction or data loss occurs depends on how the application handles this scenario.

This problem exists in the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) components of the following Windows operating systems:
    • Windows Vista Service Pack 1
    • Windows XP Service Pack 2 with hotfix 940569
    • Windows XP Service Pack 3
    • Windows Server 2008
    To prevent this problem, install the hotfix that is described in this article.[/quote]

According to this they noticed it in Vista SP1, then delayed SP3 because of it. Which is odd cause that was several weeks ago, and its only being picked up now. It seems to be very specific.