Options

Wiring the office. (ethernet)

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
We are expanding into the offices next to us and were looking to rewire it as well as add a few new lines in here. I'd rather have an outside contractor do this instead of myself (they seem to be leaning towards me for this job). Can the phone company do this or our ISP[speakeasy]?

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should look into the requirements for wirin in your state. If a licensed electrician is required I would tell your company that you can't get involved. I had a student who did some witing and cut a bunch of holes in a firewall between their suite and the one next to them. THey had a fire and the suite next to them suffered some smoke damage and ehat not, the insurance company refused to pay the claim because there were not permits or a licensed electriction (which is required here in New Jersey)

You can find tons of installers by looking in the local phone book for an electrician or under telecommunications.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    You should look into the requirements for wirin in your state. If a licensed electrician is required I would tell your company that you can't get involved. I had a student who did some witing and cut a bunch of holes in a firewall between their suite and the one next to them. THey had a fire and the suite next to them suffered some smoke damage and ehat not, the insurance company refused to pay the claim because there were not permits or a licensed electriction (which is required here in New Jersey)

You can find tons of installers by looking in the local phone book for an electrician or under telecommunications.

+1

If its only you doing the job, and depending on how large/extensive the project is, Id probably outsource this task if you can. Plus there are legalities involved like dtlokee said.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Wiring??? I don't even touch that stuff where I work, we just put the ends on. Outsourcing is the way to go you can do the punchdowns to your patch panel, but even better yet let them do it all
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    dtlokee wrote:

Wow, I never considered that! That sounds like an awful situation to be in. I'm not the original poster, but I appreciate the advice.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I'd say you have three considerations.

1. First, as mentioned already is legal concerns. Permits and Licensing being formost.

2. Second is time constraints. Can you do the wiring and deliver on time, while still delivering on current projects?

3. If there are no legal or time contraints, and you don't have a personal dislike of wiring, it can be benifical to do it yourself. If the need to troubleshoot the physical network arrises you'll know exactly where every line is run, and that is was done right.

Good luck.

PS If you don't want to do it, I'd really push the legal issue with upper management. I'm betting they'd rather shell out for a contractor to run the wiring now, then take a risk of paying through the nose later.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
    Yeah, I mentioned the legal issues of wiring it myself and they have decided to look into an outside contractor. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^wuss.

Just kidding. ;)

I would do the same thing, as I wouldn't know where to begin with something like that.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680