Options

autorun.inf

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is annoying me quite a bit. As part of a small project, I'm trying to create a CD that will display a particular image when the CD is inserted into a drive with autoplay enabled.

The only thing written in autorun.inf is the following:
[autorun]
open=image1.JPG
Icon=image1.JPG

I've wasted three CDs already. I hate wasting CDs on a 16.5KB file...someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? <_< I've tried numerous things like using = and without. I also tried changing autorun.inf to autorun.ini.
Both the image and autorun.inf are on the root of the CD. I'm making data CDs, if that's a problem?
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows autorun only opens applications or programs, not standard files like .txt, .html., or in your case a .jpg.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Until recently, it was not possible for Windows to AutoRun a file rather than a program.
    OK, that's not strictly true: you could use the following AUTORUN.INF to show web page index.htm

[autorun]
    open=start index.htm

However, if you do this, Windows displays a DOS box briefly, which looks nasty. (And start might not be available on some systems.)

If you are only targeting recent Windows systems, then you can use the shellexecute command to open a file without a flickering DOS box:

[autorun]
    shellexecute=index.htm

From here: http://www.phdcc.com/shellrun/autorun.htm

I could get things to open with the first option from a command line, but not the latter. Maybe it will work if you actually burn a disc.

[edit]
    This link explains things a little better: http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howtocacdtwar.htm
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also instead of burning them to CD yo ucould use something like ultraiso to create a .ISO file then mount it with daemontools.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    If your still having troubles getting your file to autorun I can check what I used to autolaunch .hta's when I was creating install cds for one of my companys custom apps. Let me know and when I get home I can pm you.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    yeah i would use somethign like poweriso. I'm pretty sure you can create ISO's with it and you can definitely mount them as a virtual disk..
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    A program, huh? That makes sense why I'm not seeing an image. The .inf is probably acting like a batch file. Rather than go through the hassle of playing with different tools, I'm just going to use a program instead. I just thought an image would be a bit more entertaining.

Unless you guys know a quick solution that would allow me to run the image. Maybe create a small .bat file which points to the image on the CD and opens it? Unless .bat files aren't considered programs either. :P

Btw, I found a bunch of autorun tools, but I doubt I'll use any of them:
    http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titles/autorun-inf.htm
  • Options
    lol, I stumbled across a small .exe which ejects your CD-ROM drive.
    http://www.alexnolan.net/software/ejectcd.exe

It would be quite humorous to put it on a CD labeled "important financial documents," and distribute it to a few unfortunate desks. Watch them try to read it, only to have it keep popping back out due to autoplay. :)
    (assuming autoplay is enabled on the machine(s))

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    i have done this in the past but not the same as you, which may be your problem

i have used

[autorun]
    icon=c:\image.jpg

asuming the drive letter will be the same on all PC you could simply use

icon=d:\image.jpg

Let me know if this works

Lee H