Options

CCNA & CCDA

AuviiAuvii Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know the two are both entry level certs for cisco but is it worth it to get both? I read into the CCDA books a bit and seen some different information, some just a bit more in depth on certain topics. There were topics though that i didn't see in the CCNA books. So worth getting both or just redundant since you can go anywhere in Cisco with the CCNA cert?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Auvii wrote:
    I know the two are both entry level certs for cisco but is it worth it to get both? I read into the CCDA books a bit and seen some different information, some just a bit more in depth on certain topics. There were topics though that i didn't see in the CCNA books. So worth getting both or just redundant since you can go anywhere in Cisco with the CCNA cert?

You can't go to the CCDP with out the CCDA.

The information is great to know so reading the book wouldn't hurt. If you plan on getting the CCDP then I would go for it. The certification seems kind of a contridiction to me though "design associate" those two words don't go together in my mind icon_confused.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Maybe I haven't read enough into the differences but to me it seems logical to assume that if you have a CCNA or above then designing a network would come natural. What really separates these two?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You coudln't design a network with just the knowledge covered in these two certifications, well not a good one anyway icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    You coudln't design a network with just the knowledge covered in these two certifications, well not a good one anyway icon_lol.gif

I have not taken CCDA yet, but CCNA is fairly basic stuff. It will teach you how to configure a router, but does not teach you the how and why to proper network design (especially large scale). If you are looking to stay in smaller scale networks, CCDA probably won't hold as much value.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□

Heh you'd be amazed at the construction of some pretty large service provider networks, all sorts of bolted on fixes to solve a problem then another band-aid to fix what the last fix broke. It's enough to make you switch ISPs.
    GT-Rob wrote:
    I have not taken CCDA yet, but CCNA is fairly basic stuff.

I'ts rare that I hear somone refer to CCNA as "basic", it's all in your level of knowledge. It is intended for people who need to support networks with 250-500 users and 3 -6 physical locations. Are you going to be able to build a 10,000 user networkfrom the ground up? most likely no, but the foundations are there.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    I suppose I didn't come off as clear as I thought. The CCDA and CCNA are both certs that do not require prerequisites, with that I just assumed these were considered the entry level certs. Not by any means due to being easy or something along those lines. Also from reading the test subjects and some excerpts from the CCDA book I found that some, what seems to me as important, knowledge was passed over.

So I figured it was safe to assume with the CCNA knowledge, grasping and completing a CCDA cert would be far easier then just starting off on CCDA. Where as focusing on CCDA first and then moving to CCNA would not be smart path. Why? Because the CCDA lacks some great detail that the CCNA goes into.

Which brings me to my original question, what really separate the two and why are they both in this sense considered entry level? And if the CCDA is geared for large networks why then is the CCNA not a prerequisite for it? If I wanted someone to design something for me I would want them to understand what they are doing for each and every aspect of the design.

I am not trying to say that either could or cannot design a network or trying to state one is the obvious better. I am just trying to fine a clear difference between the two with a bit better explanation then "one is for large networks and either can build a real network".
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't looked at the books yet, but I've always assumed the CCDA was more of a theoretical "best practices" design certification, whereas the CCNA is practical with trouble shooting and IOS programming.

I'll look at my CCDA book today and let you know if I'm correct.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Auvii wrote:
    And if the CCDA is geared for large networks why then is the CCNA not a prerequisite for it?

If you look at this page, you will see that both the CCNA and CCDA are listed as associate-level certifications for the design path. You could probably think of the CCNA as a co-requisite instead of a prerequisite. I agree that it would probably be beneficial to do the CCNA first as you will become familiar with the technologies, equipment capabilities, and terminology.
  • Options
    I didn't notice that "and". For some reason I thought the CCDP only required the CCDA. The necessity of both clears up a few questions I had. It still seems odd that the CCDA does not have the CCNA as a prerequisite. I have looked at some of the other specialization certs and felt they could be done with or in some case prior to some CCNA knowledge. Where as the CCDA seems like it takes a step into a large level of knowledge that would really need that ccna. But hey I don't have my ccna yet so I could just be making unnecessary assumptions.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the CCNA but due to the nature of my job CCDA is the most logical next step. I work as a network admin but constantly have to investigate new technologies, consider how to design new implementations etc. CCDA teaches you basic design "rules" which are invaluable if you work in a design role OR if you work in a network role that involves your input into a proposed network design from a supplier.

If the basic design rules are not followed a network implementation can be a costly one and even require a re-design.

The old version of the exam 640-861 was very theory based and had much "fluffy" business stuff involved. The new exam 640-863 is more focused on the technologies and best practice principles of network design with some business requirements etc involved but not as over kill as previously.

In my opinion the CCDA is an extremely valuable certification to compliment a CCNA if you are working in the networking field. Remember this is a cisco certification but it pretty much sets the bench mark on best practice whether the badge on the equipment is Cisco, Nortel or Juniper! Good luck

Malc