stop server from registring two nics in DNS

jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
how can I stop a multihomed server from registering both nics in DNS? It is causing authentication issues, we've removed the entry but it keeps re registering itself. Anybody know where I can go or do to stop it from registering this second nic, it is plugged in to a different subnet and doesn't need to be registered as an interface for the DNS server.
get back to studying!!!

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://support.clover.net/DNS_Update/dns_update.htm

Make sure the bottom 2 check marks are removed in the TCP/IP properties of the connection you do not want registering in DNS.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    that's the fun part, it's already unchecked..... icon_confused.gif
    get back to studying!!!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's a DC you're in hell....There is a way to stop it but it's fairly complicated (way beyond the normal methods for disabling registration). I ran into this a few months back and while I did eventually google my way to a solution it wasn't worth doing so I just removed the extra NIC.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jkstech wrote:
    that's the fun part, it's already unchecked..... icon_confused.gif

If it's an old regristration that's still in DNS you may just need to delete it, then it won't re-register it in the future.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • illmatic3285illmatic3285 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah if it's a DC there is a lot involved because that will most likely caue master browser issues
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    As long as you maintain the IP designated to your clients for primary DNS you are fine if this is a DC that no longer requires the 2nd interface (assuming maybe you used this for dhcp or something like that?), in regards to the master browser, even if elections happen and a client takes over this service it will be a non-issue since when you bring online your dc it will say that it is the master browswer and in all likely hood an election will take place and your DC should take back the role, otherwise give it time and it should take it back sooner or later ;). I am not sure the time interval for this process but it is not critical like losing your PDC emulator or something ;) this is one of those things i wish would have been a yellow warning in the logs and not a red x

So.. follow royals recommendation and delete the records, uncheck those radio boxes, and you'll be good to go. (assuming you are SURE you dont need this nic in dns)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001 <-- if you wanna read about the browser service.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a DC it will re-register it's service records regardless of the normal DNS registration setting. There are a number of steps involved in manually changing how it does so.
    This is one of the main reasons Microsoft highly recommend you do not Dual-home a DC.

Master browser issues do come into play if that DC is also your WINS server if you are using NetBIOS/WINS for browsing the network and the NICs are on 2 different subnets. Your WINS service may bind to the 2nd NIC and without a WINS proxy in place in the primary to accept and forward broadcasts you're sol.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    yes, i'm afriad it is a DC, it's not a WINS server and we still need the second nic as it provides a connection to a subnet that we still use.

I know it's got to be something very involved because i've been looking all over off and on for at least a month and haven't found anything........

got a link to that google article or what search string you used to bring it up?
    get back to studying!!!