Passed!

examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
Hey, I just passed the Network+ exam, but only barely. Any advice on how to learn the "quirky" questions? I do not have a great knowledge of how WINS, DCHP, and DNS work together, for example. Many of the questions I had to guess at as I have really never run across them before.

Another reason I am asking you this, is next up is Security+. I have lots of reading to do from this site..

Thanks again..
es

Comments

• 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    isnt dhcp just the opposite of static? i thought it was pretty simple. all it does is dynamically route addresses, ie the D in dhcp. someone asked me the same question before and maybe im missing something, but isnt it as simple as something that dynamically routes vs something that you route manually?
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    examseeker wrote:
    Many of the questions I had to guess at as I have really never run across them before.

ditto.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    examseeker wrote:
    Hey, I just passed the Network+ exam, but only barely. Any advice on how to learn the "quirky" questions? I do not have a great knowledge of how WINS, DCHP, and DNS work together, for example. Many of the questions I had to guess at as I have really never run across them before.

Another reason I am asking you this, is next up is Security+. I have lots of reading to do from this site..

Thanks again..
    es

Wikipedia is usually a pretty good place for a general overview.
    WINS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Internet_Name_Service
    DHCP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp
    DNS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dns

DHCP is used to automatically assign network configurations to client machines (dynamic and static routes are a different subject). It's much more flexible and efficient than manually configuration your machines with static addresses. Once you configure you a DHCP server, you can have thousands (or just one or two) machines become automatically configured for your network. This typically assigns an IP address, DNS servers, and the default gateway to client machines. You can configure other options, such as WINS servers, if your network uses them.

DNS is used to resolve host names to IPs. Without DNS, you'd have to type 64.233.167.99 instead of google.com into your browser. Network devices all communicate with each other based on their IP addresses. DNS just allows us to assign meaningful names to IP addresses.

WINS essentially does the same thing as DNS, but it's not as efficient or as easily administered. It's really only used for backwards compatibility.
  • examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    I was having problems with figuring out what would happen if one component went down. If DHCP goes down, the IP addys would be 169.254.xxx.xxx. But, I never knew how it would affect WINS, etc. Seemed several questions went into troubleshooting on topics I have not been introduced to.. so, I passed, but still curious..

icon_cool.gif
  • 147147 Member Posts: 117
    Congratulations on passing! I also bumped into a few questions that seemed from left field, but in most cases- I just didn't know the answer!
    Fear is the absence of Faith.