What CBT's do you trust the most?

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
As I am beginning to start on 70-290, without knowing much about 2k3 server mind you, I am going to drop some coin on a CBT...I've come to grips with that.

Now, I need to figure out which one will teach the best and give the most bang for the buck, so to speak. I have seen demos in the past where they capture short avi's of someone performing the task...I think that speaks to me. I dont want someone standing at a chalkboard or regurgitating powerpoint. Practice tests are a plus.

That said, I have looked at pricing for Trancender and CBT Nuggets, and they are at the max of my price range. Train signal is out of the question. I'm not happy about either's pricing situation, but I do need the whole MCSA 2003 suite.

Please offer suggestion for a product, the afore mentioned or others, you know first hand to be good for a "noob" to the topic. You dont necessarily need to have used it for 290, im just curious which cbt has worked well for someone in my situation.

Also FYI I will be using the Sybex books as well.

Thanks.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have been using the CBT Nuggets for my latest study and think they are great. They are not all inclusive but are pretty good at covering the foundation of the subjects. I have never used them for MS though so not sure if they are the same. Why don't you try to have your employer pay for them? Any quality CBT is going to be quite pricey.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Transcender provides practice exams while CBT Nuggets offers instructional training. I'd recommend both for your studies. I've used Transcender on all my exams and have used CBT Nuggets for the Security+, 294, and 291, and they've all been excellent.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've used a combination of CBT Nuggets and TestOut, and I've found both to be excellent. CBT Nuggets are video-only, featuring longer videos covering each topic. TestOut is more of a class-format, where you have shorter instructional videos, "teacher sessions", where the instructor writes out concepts on a whiteboard, practice tests, and reading you can print out to use as notes. I recommend either, (or both,) as something to complement your books and hands-on studying.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Thanks for your replies guys. Testout is too much for what I can afford. I think I will go with the CBT Nuggets, and I'll have to discuss transcender :)

Anyone else?
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I use cbt nuggets for my ccnp studies in conjunction with the recommended books.

I find it very usefull, it not only offers my mind a rest from reading but they're quite entertaining.

Unfortunatley I can't comment on the microsoft one. But I would imagine the standard would still be high.