Options

does this network help me in any way

KishoreKumarKishoreKumar Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
0062033108.gif

hi everyone.

I am ccna aspirant.
just started my preparation.

currently i am going to do a project in a small company.
where there is a small network.
as showed in the figure http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0062033108.gif

does this network help me in any way for CCNA preparation.

and i have few doubts.

1. actually we have to work on router(ACL etc..). here we have a swith does it make any difference?
2. how to login to the switch. i mean how to work on this switch. how can i view the ACL. i am working on one of those four computers showed inthe diagram.

please.. help me.
HOW CAN I UTILISE THESE RESOURCE.[/b]

Comments

• Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Studying for a Cisco exam is a lot easier on Cisco equipment. The D-Link switch will not behave like a Cisco router.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No offense but you have A LOT to learn. I'd suggest you pick up a book and start to read. I recomend the exam cert guides by Odom. Good luck on your studies!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. actually we have to work on router(ACL etc..). here we have a swith does it make any difference?

A router and switch are very different. With some hybrid exceptions they don't even operate at the same layer of the OSI. Use a good book (or even for a quick lesson you can check wikipedia.com) and look up the following for starters:

Switch
    Router
    OSI
    Broadcast domain
    Collision domain
    2. how to login to the switch. i mean how to work on this switch. how can i view the ACL. i am working on one of those four computers showed inthe diagram.

That "switch" is actually a combo device, it's really a router with some switch ports attached. You can usually log into devices like this by using a web browser, but you need to know the IP address of the device, usually 192.168.x.x. You can either look up the user manual online (or maybe you have the hard copy that came with it?) or else look at one of the computers and from a command prompt type:

ipconfig

Look for the address by "Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x"

Then open your web browser and type http://192.168.x.x (replace the x's with the correct numbers). You'll be presented with a login screen. You'll need to consult the documentation for that D-Link device to get the username and password, unless someone has already changed it.

Good luck.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry, but that diagram made me lol. :D

TC, is the company asking you to set this up for them? It sounds like you really need to get a CCNA book and start studying ASAP if you plan to be working on routers and switches. Where is the router going to be located?

The diagram appears to show a SOHO network.

:EDIT:
    http://www.certmag.com/articles/templates/cmag_howto.asp?articleid=1094&zoneid=91

Don't know if this will help you, but it might give you an idea as to how to set the network up.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    does this network help me in any way for CCNA preparation.
    No. A lot of people configure something like this as home before they even go for a Network+ Certification.

An A+ (and maybe a Network+) Certification and setting this up could get you an entry level Geek Squad or Fire Dog job, which could put you on the road to an IT career.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    KishoreKumarKishoreKumar Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no. i dont need to setup this network.

i dont know if i am not clear in my question.
    since i dont have any kind of network setup in home.
    and as a part CCNA, preperation. one has to learn ACL on routers & switches.
    i just wanted to ask. if can i utilize this small lan and a switch in anyway.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No, for Cisco certifications you need Cisco gear.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I mean, you can get some basic theory into networking with this lan. No experience is bad experience.

However, like said, Cisco equipment is very different when compared to the out-of-the-box home use stuff like this d-link router. Yes you can set "access restrictions" usually on the dlink, but it is very different from the Cisco IOS and ACL.

Again, no experience is bad experience. If you have a chance to help set this up, go for it. Just don't expect much cisco related info from it.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    btw, that switch in the picture isn't a router with a built in 4 port switch.. its just a 8 port switch. someone should probably mention that in order for that to work he's going to need a router.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That looks like one of my visio diagrams!

But seriously, like networker says, grab yourself some cisco gear/dynamips or a simulator like Boson Netsim. This equipment shown in diagram will not help you one bit.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    btw, that switch in the picture isn't a router with a built in 4 port switch.. its just a 8 port switch. someone should probably mention that in order for that to work he's going to need a router.

I think that DSL line is plugged into the router itself, maybe the text looks confusing, I see nothing wrong with his setup.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pash wrote:
    I think that DSL line is plugged into the router itself, maybe the text looks confusing, I see nothing wrong with his setup.

Yes. The DSL modem often provides routing functionality. DSL is pretty finicky, so you usually have to use what the ISP provides. With cable, you can pretty much walk into any electronics store and pick up a compatible device.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Pash wrote:

Yes. The DSL modem often provides routing functionality. DSL is pretty finicky, so you usually have to use what the ISP provides. With cable, you can pretty much walk into any electronics store and pick up a compatible device.

Yeh this is true. My old cable connection I used my own router and it served well for maybe 2 years, no more firmware upgrades after that though. But now I move and I have a good ADSL connection but some pikey router the ISP provided, which has too many firmware bugs to point out. I think I can get a different one but I will probably put it off for a while.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    oh okay. i was under the impression that the dsl modem was simular to a typical cable modem... has a interface for the cable and a interface for ethernet, but doesn't do routing or nat or firewall or any of that fun stuffs.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need to buy Cisco gear and at least the Sybex CCNA book for CCNA. I suggest you start off with A+ and Network+ first though.