Options

Illegal to copy operating systems?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Every job I've been at, I've seen people left and right making copies of windows software(including myself). The idea is that it's alright since noone is copying the actual keys. Is this correct? Because it's what I generally do when I come across an operating system disc that I don't have in my kit.

I can't imagine doing my job without them.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Media copying is fine as long as the system you install it on has a valid software license for it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,047 Admin
    royal wrote:
    Media copying is fine as long as the system you install it on has a valid software license for it.
    ...and the owner/distributer of the media allows it to be copied. Some owners only allow a single archive copy to be made, while others require that copies must be obtained only through an authorized distributer. Make sure you know your license policy for copying and redistribution of any media.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see, thanks.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Conventinal copyright laws don't apply to software, especailly when it comes to 'empire' software companies. I would say copyright should be respected only to the point until a company becomes an empire. If we wree to allow a company to become more than an empire, we undermine social justice and equality whereby a single company will swallow an entire industry and play God :)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,047 Admin
    binarysoul wrote:
    Conventinal copyright laws don't apply to software
    It's a good thing that statement doesn't apply down here in the US of A. It doesn't make sense that anything I write is automatically protected by copyright except for software.

Software copyright
    Copyright infringement of software
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    JD, I agree with you 100%. You might be interested to know though that Canada's law are very liberal when it comes to copyright laws that pertains digital media (DVDs, MP3s, TV time shifting and etc) icon_lol.gif

Today's news article below should shed some lights. My take is that the law of land should be repsected. The critics of a proposed copyright law argue that there should be a balance between the rights of copyright holders and public interest:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/12/10/tech-copyright.html[/url]