Options

Networking Mapping Software

GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
I just got hired and my partner Network Engineer wants to order LanSurveryor so he can map out the LAN and get a working Network Topology Diagram.

Personally, I think it would be better to draw our own Topology Diagram using Visio and gather LAN devices/statistics and save the money to order some other piece of software.

Are network is rather small, only about 200 nodes, so I feel we can map the entire network ourselves. My feeling is this will better prepare for us future issues because of the time it will take to completely understand the LAN and all its bottlenecks.
He feels getting LanSurveryor will analyze the bottlenecks and devices which will save us time.

In my mind I feel I'm Superman when it comes to networking so I don't see a problem gathering the information and analyzing the bottlenecks myself on a small network of 200 nodes(workstations, servers, printers, routers, switches,etc...).

What do you think?

Goldmember
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Careful sounding arrogant there!! icon_wink.gif

My opinion is to map it out yourselves, you will get a better understanding of the setups/configurations doing it that way.

Using software to do it is easier but i doubt you will learn as much.

You fix your car yourself or get a mechanic to do it? Which situation do you learn more about your car and how it works?

I would do it while its small now rather than in the future when its not possible/feasible.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools