Options

Need help choosing degree program, IT/CIS/MIS, etc...

Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I've decided to take an online degree program for a bachelors but not sure which program to take.

Any advice on the pro/cons of the bachelors program such as information technology (IT), computer information systems (CIS), information systems (IS), management information systems (MIS), and computer science (CS) or any other thats out there.

So far I'm looking at University of Phoenix online for Bachelor's in Information Technology, but I just want a program that will be worth something.

My background, I got two associate's degrees, electronics technology and networking technology. I plan on being jack of all trades type, maybe specializing in networking and security.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Ive got a buddy who just finished a degree from university of phoenix.. Those are TOUGH class's.. Generally 6 weeks long.. Dont take too many @ one time..

Also xpensive
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im considering this as well. Im finishing up an associates in CIS, but considering going for a bachelors somewhere (possibly online). Anyone have any input as to whether its possible to get jobs with a 2 year degree only (and be getting experience for the next two years) or should I go for the bachelors?
  • Options
    AlienitoAlienito Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am wondering if those online degrees offer the same type of hands of experience that a college o regular university. I supposed that you can access remote servers via web browser...

Another thing is, within a college or university education you will meet people that will become your references (e.g. Teachers), you will tide friendships with your classmates... and those contacts are essential sometimes to find a job icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another thing is, within a college or university education you will meet people that will become your references (e.g. Teachers), you will tide friendships with your classmates... and those contacts are essential sometimes to find a job

I agree 100% with Alienito.

I would also find out how legit those online colleges are. A few months ago I was watching the news and they were talking about those online colleges. They found that about 99% were not legit, and the "credits" that you get from them will be worthless when you try to transfer them to a true Unitversity or College.

If someone is going to spend the $$$ on their education I think they should attend a real college\University. You will have the opportunity to build many bridges there. icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out our page with respectable online universities we partner with here:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/degrees.shtml
    It's not complete yet, I'm going to add more soon.

If you are interested in one of these, don't hesitate to contact them thru the links on that page. It is perhaps the easiest way to support TechExams.net ;)
  • Options
    STexamsSTexams Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are going to spend the money on a degree, the best one to get is the Computer Science degree. It is the toughest to get but also has the greatest demand. Most employers recognize this one.
    Freddy
    Free Online Exams and Tutorials
    http://www.stexams.com