Options

Best book to recommend for new CCNA 640-802

kevinwaikevinwai Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am planning to take the new CCNA 640-802 exam. However, there are number of books out there and I am not sure which one to choose for. I have taken a look at CCNA book published by Sybex and I found it's good.

Can anyone kind enough to recommend me which book to go for?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Odom Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library is the best. The Sybex book is good as a 2nd source of study for the exam -- but it is the best for subnetting.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29098
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    AuviiAuvii Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently went to purchase the new Cisco Press books after reading the Sybex. Lammle's writing was great and kept me awake which was a huge bonus. But from what I have read, from people on here as well as some other sites, is that the Cisco books tend to go a bit more in depth when it comes to knowledge that you may not immediately require on job. Where Lammle is completely on-the-job oriented.

My main reasoning for jumping on the thread though...At Barnes and Nobles the new Cisco books were 49$ a piece. But if you ordered online you got both book and a random "special edition" lab CD for only 43$ ! So even if you have the Sybex, 43$ for the package is a great deal.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Where Lammle is completely on-the-job oriented.

Both of these books are geared towards the CCNA exam not "on the job oriented." The lammle book is defintely not completely on the job orientated unless the new edition has changed drastically.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you shop at B&N a lot, you should become a reader's advantage member. It's $20/year, and you get 10% off of everything (even coffee at the Starbuck's that some have). I've had mine for over 5 years, and every time I've renewed it, it's more than paid for itself on the spot.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I agree that the sybex book is not the on the job reference. BUT, it is very good for the new test.

But make sure you have the real cisco manuals for the on the job stuff.

I would use both for the test.

That is what I did, and I passed the new 802 exam.

YES it was a difficult exam. But if you study hard you will be fine.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    rebelratrebelrat Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Auvii wrote:
    I recently went to purchase the new Cisco Press books after reading the Sybex. Lammle's writing was great and kept me awake which was a huge bonus. But from what I have read, from people on here as well as some other sites, is that the Cisco books tend to go a bit more in depth when it comes to knowledge that you may not immediately require on job. Where Lammle is completely on-the-job oriented.

My main reasoning for jumping on the thread though...At Barnes and Nobles the new Cisco books were 49$ a piece. But if you ordered online you got both book and a random "special edition" lab CD for only 43$ ! So even if you have the Sybex, 43$ for the package is a great deal.

Do not buy any computer books at your local book store, you can find any book for less at
    Ebay, Amazon, etc. The same goes for DVDs and computer parts. You cannot beat the prices on the Net.

Lammle is easier to read and good as an introduction, but the Cisco books go into the nitty-gritty details that you need for the exam. The Cisco books are a must read. I would also recommend the CCNA Prep Center from Cisco - it is an excellent resource and totally free :)
    rebelrat :-)