Options

Hey look, it's another What should I get for a lab thread!

EmpathyEmpathy Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yippee! Sorry folks, I have read all the sticky threads through, and I'm still not sure what to do to build a sensible CCNA lab moving forward. I'm a total Cisco newbie, so be gentle and speak slowly, please :) ...

A friend loaned me the following gear:
2620 (not XM) with one ISDN BRI wic (I don't have a console cable yet, so I haven't been able to log in and see the memory configs yet)
3512 XL switch

I've been thinking about picking up one of the dual router kits from ciscokits.com, but I want to make sure I pick something up that makes the most sense for the new exam. I'm already getting the impression that the ISN BRI port on this 2620 will offer me few benefits on the new 640-802 exam. I've also read that it the stock EPROM isn't large enough to hold 12.4.x IOS . Is this 2620 of any use to me at all?

What would you recommend to augment this setup, and get the most mileage out of it so I can pass the new CCNA/CCENT?

I have a really limited budget, unfortunately... I'd prefer not to spend more than $200 or so.

Thanks!

Oh, my long term goal is to move more into InfoSec after CCNA, so I'm fine with the realization that at this budget, I'd likely have to buy new gear down the road if I decide to go for CCSP.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll pass along everything I've recently learned (from asking nearly identical questions) and let the pros fill in the gaps.

ISDN isn't on the test any more.

12.3.x will be adequate for the vast majority of tasks.

There is a rom upgrade for the 2620, so it can have 32mb of flash. It's not recommended for production, but can be used fairly well for home labs. This router will be of use to you even with 12.3

I'm not familiar with the switch. If it's running the obsolete CatOS, you're out of luck. You should be fine if it's a recent IOS.

From what I've gathered a 2520 is good for frame-relay. 2501s can be used to fill in the rest of the lab. A 2509 (or more expensive 2511) can come in handy as an access server. Two 2950 switches are good, but three would be better, so you can do STP.

You can always go higher up, but that would meet the vast majority of your needs. I just got a pair of 2501s for $25. Shipping almost as expensive. 2950s go for $100-150 on average, but I saw one with 4 bad ports (out of 24) go for $70 the other day.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    I'll pass along everything I've recently learned (from asking nearly identical questions) and let the pros fill in the gaps.

There is a rom upgrade for the 2620, so it can have 32mb of flash. It's not recommended for production, but can be used fairly well for home labs. This router will be of use to you even with 12.3

I'm not familiar with the switch. If it's running the obsolete CatOS, you're out of luck. You should be fine if it's a recent IOS.

From what I've gathered a 2520 is good for frame-relay. 2501s can be used to fill in the rest of the lab. A 2509 (or more expensive 2511) can come in handy as an access server. Two 2950 switches are good, but three would be better, so you can do STP.

You can always go higher up, but that would meet the vast majority of your needs. I just got a pair of 2501s for $25. Shipping almost as expensive. 2950s go for $100-150 on average, but I saw one with 4 bad ports (out of 24) go for $70 the other day.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response! The switch I have is actually the 3512XL... I went back and corrected that in my original post. Is the new test more focused on STP than before? I'm under the impression that if I have to skimp on anything, it would be the switches.

If I decided to go with a 2501/2503 pair, could I simulate an ISDN WAN between the 2503 and 2620, in the event that I decided to learn about ISDN for the heck of it? And maybe pick up a synchronous serial WIC for the 2620, so all 3 devices can communicate over sync serial links?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Empathy wrote:
    Is the new test more focused on STP than before? I'm under the impression that if I have to skimp on anything, it would be the switches.
    From the exam blueprint
    This exam tests a candidate's knowledge and skills required to install, operate, and troubleshoot a small to medium size enterprise branch network. The topics include connecting to a WAN; implementing network security; network types; network media; routing and switching fundamentals; the TCP/IP and OSI models; IP addressing; WAN technologies; operating and configuring IOS devices; extending switched networks with VLANs; determining IP routes; managing IP traffic with access lists; establishing point-to-point connections; and establishing Frame Relay connections.

The CCNA is a Routing AND Switching exam. It may seem like there is more "router" involved, but that's just because of the basic equipment stuff you learn. The Switching topic is a major chunk in the exam blueprint -- skimp on switches at your own risk.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm under the impression that if I have to skimp on anything, it would be the switches.

Not necessarily...In my experiences, switching is hit just as hard as routing. As a matter of fact, I have heard of more people failing the exam due to switching than routing. Don't skimp on "switching", but it may be okay to settle for lower model siwthces that can still do vlans, stp, vtp, etherchannel, port-security, ect.....Even if PVST+ does come up in 640-802, it's not going to be detailed like plain ole stp would be. They're going to save the detailed pvst+ and rstp for CCNP. A 2924 Xl-En can suffice for advanced STP topics and trivial pvst+ topics.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    See below:
    dynamik wrote:

Yup
    dynamik wrote:

Don't just look at release / version #, check IOS navigator and see if the feature you want is supported with that release/version for your platform.
    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=featSelect&task=detail&featStartsWith=All
    dynamik wrote:

Check my thread here about getting a switch other than 2950
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25434
    dynamik wrote:
    3 routers and 2 switch would be very ideal for the CCNA IMHO. You can still practice STP & VTP with just 2 switch.
    Empathy wrote:
    Thanks for the quick and helpful response! The switch I have is actually the 3512XL... I went back and corrected that in my original post. Is the new test more focused on STP than before? I'm under the impression that if I have to skimp on anything, it would be the switches.

If I decided to go with a 2501/2503 pair, could I simulate an ISDN WAN between the 2503 and 2620, in the event that I decided to learn about ISDN for the heck of it? And maybe pick up a synchronous serial WIC for the 2620, so all 3 devices can communicate over sync serial links?

You need an ISDN switch do practice ISDN, you can't just connect their BRI ports together. For 3 routers, you need at least 2 DCE/DTE back-to-back cable for communication, you can use one as frame-relay switch and practice subinterfaces or use back-to-back to setup HDLC or PPP and do your routing labs that way. Consider getting 3 cables so you can do some feasibility conditions with your EIGRP setups.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    What's the difference between the 2520 and 2521? Is the 2521 Token Ring only? I ask because I'm having an easier time finding 2521s than 2520's, and they appear to be selling for less.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Empathy wrote:
    What's the difference between the 2520 and 2521?

2520 has 4 serial + 1 ethernet
    2521 has 4 serial + 1 token ring

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a0080094e93.shtml
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    Empathy wrote:
    What's the difference between the 2520 and 2521?

2520 got ethernet and 2521 token ring.
  • Options

OK, I'll look for the following, then:

2503 (I'll go with this in the event I do get an ISDN switch down the road in order to simulate a ISDN WAN with the 2620)
    2950 switch (The 3512XL switch I already have appears to support most of the functionality I need, trunking, QoS, 802.1Q)
    2 AUI to RJ-45 transceivers
    2 DTE/DCE back-to back cables
    a serial WAN interface card for this 2620 (still trying to find the appropriate part)

Does this sound correct/complete?
  • Options
    That looks good. You will need a WIC-1T for that 2620 to connect to the 2520.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    That looks good. You will need a WIC-1T for that 2620 to connect to the 2520.

Excellent. Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    rebelratrebelrat Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Empathy wrote:
    What's the difference between the 2520 and 2521? Is the 2521 Token Ring only? I ask because I'm having an easier time finding 2521s than 2520's, and they appear to be selling for less.

Only difference is 2520 has Ethernet but only 10Mbps, 2521 has Token Ring instead. I found the same regarding the pricing and bought a 2521 as I intend to only use it as a Frame-Relay switch.

Regarding the ISDN questions, you will need an ISDN simulator - they just had a great auction on Ebay for a 2503 and a 2523 router plus a Vconsole 2 S/T or 2U ISDN simulator. Sold for only $185.00. I had already bought the same ISDN simulator in another auction (it came with 2 WIC B S/T), so it did not make sense for me to bid. But at that price it was tempting, as the 2523 router alone sells for over $100.00 on average, the Vconsole ISDN simulator has a list price of over $900.00. Wait until right before X-mas - the best prices are from Dec. 20 - 24 - everybody busy with X-mas.
    rebelrat :-)
  • Options
    Or you could always save that money and be trained on the job for ISDN. If you never get a job that requires ISDN then great, if you do, learn it for free. It's phased out. I couldn't imagine any employer not hiring someone because they did not know ISDN.
  • Options
    So I waited to pick up a console cable until I purchased some of the other lab gear I needed. I just logged into the 2620 for the first time yesterday, and was greeted with an error stating that no system memory was installed! I just opened the chassis to confirm this... yep, not only no system memory, but no DIMMS either!

I've already purchased the WIC-1T I planned to use with this 2620... otherwise, I'd just give it back to the person who loaned it to me. This is getting expensive! icon_mad.gif

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to pick up inexpensive memory for a 2620?

I guess the good news is that I won't have to do password recovery on this router, at least!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    If I remember you can uyse consumer memory as long as it meets the same specs as what the cisco stuff would be.

Your lab looks good. I'm picking up a 2514 tomorrow to add to my lab.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi,

I sujested you to buy one router for SDM, you'll be tested configuring DHCP, NAT, and more using SDM, the 2500 and the 2600 series that you're planning to buy do not support SDM, pick one 1700 series just for that, i have one 1710 running 12.4 IOS only for SDM labs and so far so good.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I was just planing on downloading the SDM demo to cover that topic. I still haven't bought the 2520 yet (I can't find any for less than $120 yet), which I was planning on purchasing specifically for frame relay.

I suppose I could substitute a newer SDM-compatible router for the 2520, if need be (and if I can find one in a similar price range).

Does anyone have any thoughts on which is a more important topic on the exam (SDM vs. Frame Relay)?
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote:
    If I remember you can uyse consumer memory as long as it meets the same specs as what the cisco stuff would be.

Correct. If you find the same memory type at the same voltage you can run it.

I just recently upgraded some production 2621XM's with Kingston RAM. It was listed with a compatibility part number for the 2600XM series, but it really is just PC100 3.3VDC RAM....