Options

RRAS/ VPN with Linksys WRT54GS connection issues

SetotekSetotek Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Everybody,

Need some help on having an external user authenticate to a RRAS Server. Any help would be appreciated.

I currently have a linksys router connected to a cable modem in which connects out to the Internet with the following configs:

1. Enabled for IPSEC, PPTP, and L2TP passthrough.
2. Port forwarding is enabled on 1723 and 47 (TCP,UDP). Both are forwarding to my RRAS server (192.168.10.20).
3. DHCP is not enabled on the router.

I also have a user set up on a Win2003 Server which is configured with:

1. as a DC with AD, DNS, WINS and DHCP.
2. The user is set up to allow remote connections under the dial-in tab of user's properties
3. Policies could be set up wrong on the RRAS...

I have an ext user with a different subnet who can ping my linksys but gets a "Failed to connect" message.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Setotek

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Remember, you need to forward protocol 47 (GRE), not port 47. That is what jumped out at me.

This might help (you may need to skip the ad): http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/20274/20274.html?Ad=1
  • Options
    Would forwarding protocol 47 be on the linksys or on the RRAS?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Setotek wrote:
    Would forwarding protocol 47 be on the linksys or on the RRAS?

You can't configure GRE on a linksys, the PPTP passthrough should do the trick. If your win2k3 box has a simple firewall configured, make sure it is open for pptp.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply guys,

Since I havent had real experience setting up the RRAS, can someone show me where in W2k3 I would go to configure it?

I currently have 2 nics installed. One is pointing to the internet and the other is pointing to the local LAN with different ip addresses( 192.168.10.10 and 192.168.1.101 respectively)

I am going back to my 70-291 ms press book on how to do it but it amy take awhile. Once again any help would be great.

Thanks.
    Setotek
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Setotek wrote:
    Thanks for the reply guys,

Since I havent had real experience setting up the RRAS, can someone show me where in W2k3 I would go to configure it?

I currently have 2 nics installed. One is pointing to the internet and the other is pointing to the local LAN with different ip addresses( 192.168.10.10 and 192.168.1.101 respectively)

I am going back to my 70-291 ms press book on how to do it but it amy take awhile. Once again any help would be great.

Thanks.
    Setotek

You have to enable NAT & VPN function in RRAS service under administrative tools.
    You're basically doing "double NAT" on your router and once again with Win2k3.
    It's pretty straight forward with the wizard, but I would suggest that you be sure to check your config under NAT/basic firewall to make sure you have the right interfaces configured, and to make sure you have the DHCP relay agent setup for your VPN clients.

There's always this thread to look at: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21736
    Jack of all trades, master of none