about dynamips

pradip_chavdapradip_chavda Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear all,
If i want switch simulation in GNS 3.0 then what can i do for that? Acttually i am not able to desine and simulate setup with switch.
Please replay me. :P

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Dynamips does not support switch emulation. You can simulate a switch but you will not be able to telnet into it or perform any kind of configuration. You should check here for more clarification and answers to your dynamips questions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    There is no switch because of the complexity emulating such a device ;)
    Now working full time!
  • bowlerspbowlersp Inactive Imported Users Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hmmm, i would think that a switch would be easier to emulate than a router. layer 3 is much more complex than layer 2.
    **studying for my JNCIS-ER and BSCI**
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    bowlersp wrote:
    hmmm, i would think that a switch would be easier to emulate than a router. layer 3 is much more complex than layer 2.

The hardware used for switching can not be emulated.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As networker said, currently the hardware (ASICs) used to perform switching cannot be emulated (sorry for repeating), it's actually much easier to emulate a router, since the algorithms used are software based...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Yes it is pretty much the layer 1 and 2 stuff that is just about impossible to emulate. BUT, you could buy 3 good servers and 3 switches.

Then you could connect all the switches together, and then connect 1 of each of the three servers to one of each of the switches.

Then you can run multiple routers on each one of the servers, some folks run up to a dozen on each server.

Then bridge one of the routers to the physical nic on the server.

Presto you have one MASSIVE network for 1/20 the price of all the real gear.

Is this easy, no.

Can it be done yes.

Will it perform like real gear, NO way. It will work, and will be sufficient for a lot of testing/learning type stuff. But it will not give enterprise performance.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.