Options

2950 for ccna lab q?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Would a 12 port 2950 suffice for a ccna lab or would i be looking at a 24 port instead? its just im finding the 24 porters pretty pricey at the min wherever i look!

on another note what would you say is a fair price for a 2950?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A 12-port 2950 is more than enough for CCNA, you probably wont use half the ports unless you have that many devices to plug into it anyway...

I'm not sure what is a "fair" price for one of them, you can search the posts here...there have been many post recently related to lab equipment...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just picked up a 12 for $122.50 and a 24 for $128.50. I saw a 24 with 4 bad ports go for $71 the other day. I'd say $100-150 depending on circumstances. I probably could have done better if I was more patient, but I just wanted to get going.
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, just a $6 difference between the 12-port and the 24-port! great deal for one and not the other?
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd get the one with the bad ports unless you plan on using it in production. I have a 2950 that only has about four or five good ports left on it. Runs like a charm though!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies fella's, a big help as i know you's must be sick to death of ppl asking about equipment.

Thanks again
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking