Options

IT Industry by Region

CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
So I was curious, being from the Midwest (Minnesota), where are the best places to find work in regards to the IT field.

I for one am not a huge fan of insanely large cities unless for example they are a bit cleaned up and conducive to lower stress atmosphere. I suppose to relate, a city like St Paul is something along those lines..

Anyway, where in your opinion lies the greatest oppurtunity to find work coming when already having a level of experience (say 1-5 yrs at least). I assume places like Montana/Wyoming/Idaho area is not a great place to start looking but of course those are stereotypes people like me may hold.

Any regions (again aside from the LA/NYC/DC/insert cliche city here) that are places one may be suprised to find a good area to attempt to find work in our field?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!
MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nashville, Tn. ----> IT Sector here is predicted to boom, but the drivers suck. State is doing a lot of hiring.

Dallas, Tx.
    >OKay but watch out for the crackheads.

Austin, Tx,---->Very nice city with lots of beautiful outskirt areas out of town. Big technology sector.

Huntville, Al.
    > low key area, and great if you have a military backround or sec. clearance. Another very big technology sector.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RTP
    Charlotte
    Nashville
    Huntsville
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Calgary, Alberta eh?

oh...you're talking about in the US....but do consider moving up here (or at least don't disregard it), a lot of Canadian arms in multinational corporations are doing far better than their global counterparts, and our economy is holding up quite nicely, unless if we get screwed over with another election, you can expect some good loonies in your pocket (<- that's the name of our dollar in case you're wondering)
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't speak for him, but I know that the thought of moving somewhere colder and darker doesn't sound too appealing. You need to sucker us in during the summer ;)

Regarding the OP, are you having trouble finding work or are you just looking for a move? While we might not make as much as other areas, the ratio of salary to cost of living is better than most places. Be sure to keep that in mind as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, I luckily have not had the worst time finding work but it seems that the level for advancement in positions around where I am located is low, simply cause they are all by comparison smaller shops. I dont currently work in The Cities, but I would like to see myself there sometime in the next 2-5 years after I get some years under my belt. (at 2 dont know a good number but assuming 3-5 should be good)

Have you found the oppurtunities in St Paul to be decent?

I actually have considered checking out Canada but it seems I am about 5-8 points shy of being able to emigrate (sp?) as a professional or whatever its called...

Thanks again, have a nice night/day
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    CoryS wrote:
    I actually have considered checking out Canada but it seems I am about 5-8 points shy of being able to emigrate (sp?) as a professional or whatever its called...

What "points" are you referring to?
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

That should lead you to it, there are certain areas you get "graded" and depending on your experience with each you get a point value.
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    The Western Half of the US

Denver
    Phoenix
    Seattle
    Los Angeles
    San Francisco/Silicon Valley
    San Diego

I lived in Seattle and there were some good jobs available.
    Los Angeles, San Diego, and of course Silicon Valley.

West is the best, you get here we'll do the rest....
    (Quote from the The Doors)
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills