Options

Something I found interesting...

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, some of us on here preach how it's best to have experience and back it up with the certs, as opposed to the other way around, and I'm one of those...I received a bulletin today from mailing list that I'm signed up with and here's the slogan of one of their adverts...

IT Boot Camp: Get Your Cisco CCNA Certification in Just 1 Week!!
Why wait years for a promotion based on experience when you could earn one in as little as a week based on education?

I'm one who believe that a boot camp is not for a newbie, but for one who already has experience, been working with the technology for a few years and probably needs to brush up on their skills, before they take an exam...

In some of these cases, "some" of these institutions grab at the money, but probably has little care about how the individual progresses from there...imagine a newbie takes up this offer, passes in a week, and is called for an interview 2 weeks later!!

Just something that made me ponder and I thought I'd share it...
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• Options
    Kcolon1Kcolon1 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, best way to actually "master" the stuff is on the job. Get the cert - get a smaller IT job to get the foot in the door, then learn and grow!

I was 19 and had a Desktop Support job. I'm 20 now and I am a Network Administrator. Gotta start somewhere!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ha, that is funny. And people are signing up for it...

Family member went to a Net+ boot camp paid by her company. They booted a couple VMs for the different OSs and did hands on labs for half the day and recited the answers from the test the second half of the day.

Her notes had questions I remember, verbatim, from the Net+. Some of the esotertic questions too.

I agree, boot camps are for those with experience, who just need a crash course and to pass the test. I can't think of any place that would hire you
    -Daniel
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Kcolon1 wrote:
    I agree, best way to actually "master" the stuff is on the job. Get the cert - get a smaller IT job to get the foot in the door, then learn and grow!

I was 19 and had a Desktop Support job. I'm 20 now and I am a Network Administrator. Gotta start somewhere!

Awesome, dude. Sounds like you have the networking world by the tail! Smart choices at an early age will really make a huge difference in the course your life takes, and I think you're way ahead of the game.

Best wishes.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949