Options

Are most "real" networks unsecure and inefficientl

GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
I have worked at 2 places mostly....school district and City...

I have noticed these networks are inefficient to say the least.

There are usually links which are not properly planned or overutilized.

I see the lack of proper design being a huge crux in the computer networking field.

Anybody can "point and click" to get the DHCP server running, but it seems most technical people never plan and design the networks properly. Its kind of sad to see these enormous networks running so bad when highly paid technicians are running them.
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think so...the resort where I live had their servers accessible from an unsecure hotspot a year ago. I was able to login and see all their customer information(names, addresses, CC#s). It was quite horrifying.

They have since switched to a wired network, but they still send emails in plaintext. *sigh*

I think it's because these networks aren't run by admins, but rather, by normal people with no idea what they are doing.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I think it's because these networks aren't run by admins, but rather, by normal people with no idea what they are doing.

Like the father-in-law who calls you late on a Saturday night because he can't figure out why, when he upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU, Windows BSODs on boot?

Also, remember that the people who are running the network my not have been the ones who designed it. It's much more difficult to fix a poorly designed network than it is to do it right the first time. They may have just inherited someone else's disaster.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TBH I have seen both sides of the fence. Networks that are very well run and very easy to maintain....you know the kind....when you walk in the comms room and all cables are tidy and labelled, blue is data and green is voice etc etc....windows servers properly configured and hardened....switches/routers/firewalls all proeprly configured with security in mind. And then the are the networks where everything is a mess, nobody knows where anything is.................security is a word normall associated with getting into a nightclub to the IT admins....and so on.

For me, it seems that the customers who have regular audits for IT security and what not are the ones who keep everything spick and spam, so nothing comes up and bites them in the behind later on.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.