Options

Linux

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Okay.. i'd really like to learn more about linux, but i'm not really sure what steps to take. I'm going to try and pick up a book or two soon. I guess i'd like to learn more about system administration, server-related stuff, user rights & management, etc. Should i look into picking up some LPI or Linux+ material?

I currently have some basic experience with linux - i use it as a desktop occasionally and for a while i had a server running Debian (replaced it with IPCop to set it up as a router)
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd start with the Linux+. CompTIA always seems like a good place to start when you're breaking into new ground. I think the LPI is the next step in the vendor-neutral certification route, but you could always branch out into the RHCE or other vendor-specific paths if you choose. It really depends on your interest and goals.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started on the Linux+ a few months back but found it too vague. The LPI was better imho, not just tougher but more focused on IT concerns.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Get a distro installed on a system and use it as your primary OS. The Linux+ is what you make it. You can take the basics of what it teaches you and elaborate on it to make you more proficient. I would suggest installing either Debian or CentOS. I would also recommend installing those without the GUI. This will enable you to really hone your command line skills, which is everything in Linux.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend going for Linux+ for a few reasons. Linux+ costs less than LPI. I think LPI is two exams that cost $150 a piece. Also, I am not sure about your situation but if you are still in school and not currently looking for a job then Linux+ will still be with you when you are done with school. LPI certification expires after a few years (Five I think). Plus I think Linux+ may be a little more well know because of the CompTIA name. Of course you would probably learn more about Linux studying for LPI. That is all just in my opinion of course.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm with you on the Debian route :0 download yourself a network install ISO and have a play
    I'm looking at taking the Linux+ next year hopefully! followed by a MCP so I get the best of both worlds
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is a link I posted the other day with some good information on Linux Certification:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29651

As far as just learning, there are lots of good books out there. Recent books by Mark Sobell are very good, and I also like:

Linux for Windows Administrators

Mark Minasi does a good job of teaching Linux for people who are familiar with Windows administration. The book is somewhat dated now, but still very good.

I really like this book, I have the third edition, but the fourth edition was just published this year:

Guide to UNIX Using Linux, Fourth Edition

This book has excersizes and labs throughout - it's made for classroom training. I think it was about my favorite.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it is best to play around with Linux first then you can do your Linux+ and others. It takes a while to get a good grasp of Linux so once you do, it makes your certification routes much easier.

Plan some projects for you to do

build a DNS (bind) server
    build a web server (apache)
    build a proxy server (squid)

and just try out a bunch of other software products. It seems like the more fun way of doing it too.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!