Options

What's worse than not being able to find a job.....

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
What's worse than not being able to find a job.....is being offered a great job, then have it rescinded because you don't pass the security check. icon_sad.gif Due to an isolated lapse of judgment I made almost 15 years ago, the security clearance didn't go through for me, though I have no criminal background, have great credit, a stable family history, and I had a great interview. They offered me double what I make now. I guess some mistakes dog you til the day you die. At least now I know to not apply for jobs which require security clearances. You'd think, though, that cleaning up your act over a period of years would rectify things. Not so. Big bummer.

Maybe this will help someone else out in some way, since a lot of networking jobs require a security clearance.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The security clearances I took only asked about information 7-10 years back.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Bro, can I ever relate.

I have a 12 year old possession of marijuana conviction... continues to constantly hound me. I don't understand how something so unrelated to business could make such a difference. Sure, if it was fraud, embezzelment, extortion, theft... but smoking some dope?

I've found that working on contracts has greatly reduced the impact of having a record. I've worked at some great places where I would never be hired fulltime, but have had no issue being placed in a contract.

Maybe try the contract route, crunchy.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i really feel for you fella's.

Keep your head held high.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    mikearama wrote:
    Bro, can I ever relate.

I have a 12 year old possession of marijuana conviction... continues to constantly hound me. I don't understand how something so unrelated to business could make such a difference. Sure, if it was fraud, embezzelment, extortion, theft... but smoking some dope?

I've found that working on contracts has greatly reduced the impact of having a record. I've worked at some great places where I would never be hired fulltime, but have had no issue being placed in a contract.

Maybe try the contract route, crunchy.

Mike

It was a contract job.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Before 9/11, they were handing out security clearences like candy. You can expect that it will get harder and harder in the future to get one.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    It was a contract job.

No kidding! So it was just the requirement of the clearance then that screwed ya. Geez.

I once applied at BMW on a contract. Oddly enough, I went through the interview process on two different occasions, did all the personality and technical stuff, and only then was I put in front of an HR person who explained the security/credit/driving checks that I needed to consent to... I said, "Huh? Credit? Driving record?" I knew they'd be okay on them, but the security check was the issue. All that, just to get to say, "Thanks for the interviews, buh-bye".

I hate to say it, but some people just can't see past a record, no matter what it's for. The HR person actually said to me to resubmit my application if I ever bother to get a pardon (you guys have that in the States?). I said, what would have changed? You know I have a record, and getting a pardon doesn't erase your memory, does it?

She actually said that if it doesn't show up on a record check, they can't hold it against me. I guess it does erase people's memories. Go figure.

Anyway bro, after all that... keep your chin up. Find something not requiring a sec clearance. Good luck to ya.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Wow, I know this is a bit old but the same thing happened to my brother, he is 32 now but he almost got passed over a great job for a minor he had when he was 17, he didnt even get a fine, just the ticket... Seriously some things are a bit rediculous, he had to meet with the company pysch an extra 2 times cause of this. Imagine the conversation..

"So, um, you had some beer like 15 years ago huh?"

"Yep"

"So.. pretty nice day out huh?"
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |