Server height - unit U or RU?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Well, if you can....get something like this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/KVM_Over_IP/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A0610392

You WILL LOVE IT and it is worth the cost. (IMHO).

Did you order your servers with an NOS or without? I'm not following what your question is...If you ordered NOS installed, you'll need to set up a few things but that happens with any PC or Server out-of-the-box unless you have 100% custom made....and not many places will do that....there are always things that you'll need to handle onsite.

I guess that was a dumb question because now that I think of it, they come with the OS installed. But I always wondered if you were to ever reinstall an OS on a rack server you can't do it remotely, so I was curious if it was unattended or you would have to lug a monitor and keyboard over to the rack.

If you had imaging software and network connectivity it is possible to do an install remotely, same as a desktop image.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Pash wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:

I guess that was a dumb question because now that I think of it, they come with the OS installed. But I always wondered if you were to ever reinstall an OS on a rack server you can't do it remotely, so I was curious if it was unattended or you would have to lug a monitor and keyboard over to the rack.

If you had imaging software and network connectivity it is possible to do an install remotely, same as a desktop image.

Sure you can as Pash mentioned, but it's also not that big a deal to pull it out of the rack (unless it's loaded with drives as mentioned above about the weight and benefit of a second pair of hands) and toss it on a rolling table or simply plug in a KB and Monitor. It's generally not something that needs to be done frequently....so weigh your costs of having a rack console similar to the link I posted vs. the hassle of hooking up inputs.

Just depends what your time is worth and how much is in the budget :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?