Options

static and dynamic addressing

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
is it just ok to use to run a dhcp service where computers are set with static IP's? does it cause unwanted traffic? any input is highly appreciated. thnks
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why would you want to run a dhcp serever with all clients configured static???

I don't believe that it would cause any traffic though if none of the clients are requesting addresses. All dhcp traffic is intitiated by the client as far as I know.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    im planning to enable the dhcp service to address zero configuration in case a customer would need to use his own laptop. im just worried that it will cause unwanted traffic.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    The traffic caused by DHCP is almost un-measureable (when set correctly with default lease times). Just enable it and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Ensure you setup addresses to be excluded from the DHCP scope.... so there is no way possible for the DHCP server to lease addresses that are currently used by static clients.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CLient innitiates the traffic like other stated. Client sends a DISCOVER message, then the server replies with a OFFER message. When the client hears the offer, it sends back a REQUEST, then the server sends back an acknowledgment with the remaining information. IF the client never sends a Discover, then nothing ever happens.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only time when DHCP traffic is broadcasted is when a DHCP client looks to get an address from the dhcp server. So the more dhcp clients you have the more traffic is generated.

That being said, you might have a problem if you have a dhcp server in company A and dhcp clients in company B and they have a 2400 baud modem as their WAN connection. ;)

100MB goes a long way.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!