Options

linux to xp

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
can anyone give some insight on connecting a linux box (CENT OS) to an XP box with ethernet? Basically just for data transfer and the like. Also, the XP box has a wireless card...will I be able to access the internet from the linux box thru the ethernet connection? Thanks in advance!!
Working on Linux+

Comments

• Options
    I'm installin CENT OS at the moment, but when I get it all setup I'm gonna look around and try to figure it out on my own. Just lookin for any suggestions really.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Basic Samba configuration should allow you to do file sharing. How do you have your network setup? You really just need to enter the dns servers and gateway for internet access (just like your xp machine).
  • Options
    the xp machine has a wireless card...the linux will be connected to the xp box. i dont have a long enough cable to plug directly into the router and i dont have another wireless card at the moment
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Is your router also a wireless access point? The wireless card in your XP machine won't provide connectivity unless it has a WAP or other WNIC to talk to. And be sure to install the Samba daemon that is included in your Linux distribution. That will allow your XP and Linux boxes to communicate over the Microsoft network.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Basic Samba configuration should allow you to do file sharing. How do you have your network setup? You really just need to enter the dns servers and gateway for internet access (just like your xp machine).

Yeh this worked for me when I setup CENT OS at home. It's an awesome distrib, very much like Redhat. I used Xwinlogin to remote connect to it using ssh. Port forwarding on my firewall on port 22 to my LAN ip address. Works nicely, although for remote connections probably not as responsive as RDP, if anyone has better suggestions id be interested.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    the xp machine has a wireless card...the linux will be connected to the xp box. i dont have a long enough cable to plug directly into the router and i dont have another wireless card at the moment

Configure XP to do internet connection sharing. Put both devices on the same subnet so they can communicate. For example, give the XP 192.168.1.101/255.255.255.0 and the Linux 192.168.1.102/255.255.255.0. I'm assuming the XP is already connecting to the internet and working properly. In CentOS this can be configured in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<device> where "device" is the name of the physical NIC. This can be determined with the "ifconfig" command. The device name is nearly always "eth0".

So, you just need to set the default gateway on the Linux machine to be the IP of the Windows machine (192.168.1.101 in my example). On CentOS this can be set in /etc/sysconfig/network with a line that says

GATEWAY=<IP>

Then set your DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf with lines like this:

nameserver <IP>
    nameserver <IP>

Then restart the network:

service network restart

If things don't work make sure the Linux machine can ping the XP machine. If it cannot, you got a network connectivity issue between the two. If it can and you still cannot access the internet, perhaps ICS isn't working properly.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    are you looking to share the windows XP inet connection? If so silentc1015 suggestions sound good.

But if you just want to connect to the internet that should be pretty easy. I am pretty sure that centos supports the:

setup

command with makes configuring network cards a snap. If not you can use the cli with is pretty straight forward.

As far as sharing files you can use putty, and winscp for moving files back and forth. Winscp works really well and is a breeze to use.

That is if your not interested in using a GUI on the centos box.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    liven wrote:
    are you looking to share the windows XP inet connection? If so silentc1015 suggestions sound good.

But if you just want to connect to the internet that should be pretty easy. I am pretty sure that centos supports the:

setup

command with makes configuring network cards a snap. If not you can use the cli with is pretty straight forward.

As far as sharing files you can use putty, and winscp for moving files back and forth. Winscp works really well and is a breeze to use.

Yep, it's "system-config-network-tui" for the command line network setup. It's like a ncurses menu, like the text install for the OS. The GUI is "system-config-network". You may have to install them depending on what you choose during your initial installation. This can be done like so:

yum install system-config-network-tui
    yum install system-config-network

I also agree that you should look into scp, and winscp as a windows client program. It's very convenient and should work right away with no additional configuration. Samba can get complex for a beginner (not saying that you are), and it's usually excessive in my experience.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    liven wrote:

setup

Yep, it's "system-config-network-tui" for the command line network setup. It's like a ncurses menu, like the text install for the OS. The GUI is "system-config-network". You may have to install them depending on what you choose during your initial installation. This can be done like so:

yum install system-config-network-tui
    yum install system-config-network

I also agree that you should look into scp, and winscp as a windows client program. It's very convenient and should work right away with no additional configuration. Samba can get complex for a beginner (not saying that you are), and it's usually excessive in my experience.

^bump on the samba statements!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.