Options

KVM Question

exit12exit12 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Hope everyone has had a wonderful xmas!

I have a question regarding KVM Console switch.

I'm looking at getting a slimline Rack Console, and it's been advised I need the following also.

Server Console Switch/1X8P Cat5 Cabling
IP Console Interface Adapter (8 Pack).

Do these connect to the servers via cat 5 cable?

I've normally just runs standard kvm with 4 / 8 ps2 connectors, VGA connectors. So don;t have much experience with KVM of the above type.

Could someone explain, briefly how these are setup and how the interact with the actual server?

Thanks icon_smile.gif
Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.

Comments

• Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    why not just use remote desktop? its easier and its free.

just my 2 cents :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some higher end KVMs have the ability to run the data over cat5. You plug your VGA/usb or VGA/ps2 adapter into the computer then plug a cat 5 cable into the adapter. You run cat5 all the way back to your KVM which probably has RJ-45 jacks where you plug it into.

It is very nice because you don't have to run KVM cables as they are huge and bulky. You can also centralized your KVMs with your switches.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    why not just use remote desktop? its easier and its free.

What if you need to access the BIOS, boot from CD to reinstall the OS, or access a SCSI or RAID controller configuration utility?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use Altusen IP-KVMs in almost all of our racks. You plug VGA, Keyboard, and Mouse into server via KVM cable and then assign an IP address to the KVM box. A network connection on the server itself is not needed, just the KVM box. You connect to the box via the web, Windows client, or Java client (which seems to work the best) and then from there select whatever port / server you wish to connect. You have full access to the servers including BIOS.

EDIT: We use the KN9116 model. Here's a direct link: Click Here
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    The CAT5 KVM's were probably one of the better things to happen in the enterprise enviroment, until recently (vmware) if you have the chance to get CAT5 KVM's just use those. Minicom makes good ones that don't require an IP or anything fancy they just run via CAT5 cable from the dumb station (monitor,mouse,keyboard) back to the KVM unit.