Options

Remote Desktop stopped working

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
I've been successfully using remote desktop connection to go from my laptop to my desktop when I'm at the office and when I'm at home. Yesterday, our power flickered and I wasn't sure but I couldn't connect. When I got home I realized the computer didn't power back up. I powered the computer up and now I am at home today and I still can't RDP into my desktop.

I've checked to make sure that the system box is still checked allowing RDC, terminal service is running.... I don't really understand because nothing has changed (I also verified the IP address is still the same)

Anyone have any ideas or stupid little things I missed?

Both computers can also access the internet.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did the power failure cause your home router to reset which also resets the port forwarding?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Did you try power cycling the router and see if that works?
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    I've already rebooted the router, and the port forwarding still looks like its set up. I made sure no firewalls were accidentally turned on after the reboot..
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So can you only not connect from a remote network or can you no longer connect from your home network as well?

Also, do you have a static public IP assigned to your router, or is it DHCP from your ISP? Maybe you were assigned a different IP address if it's DHCP.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    hmmm...any other services running like himachi?
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe this is a long shot, but it's worked for others. Put your Windows CD in and try running the following from a command prompt : sfc /scannow.

That command will go through your system files and check if anything got corrupted. If it did, the system file checker will replace those corrupted files.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    I rebooted my cable modem again and now its working. I think it didn't completely power off last time I tried to reboot it.

All is well. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What error are you getting when trying to connect? Can you ping the desktop on your home LAN from another host?
  • Options
    on a side note what was really wierd that was making me think it was somthing other than power cycling the modems was that I was able to connect to shares from my laptop \\192.168.0.100\c$ but couldn't connect via the RDC.