Options

AD Command-Line tools..

mattd75mattd75 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am just wondering if you guys really use these, or is it just stuff microsoft wants me to know? I do work in AD, but using the snap-in seems alot easier to me.

I think I remember reading that it is more usefull if you are adding multiple users or groups?

Anyway, I am sure that I am probably wrong, but just thought I'd put it out there...

Comments

• Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    They are extremely useful especially using csvde to output various objects for inventory purposes. Adding and deleting multiple people or even just using dsquery and dsmod at the same time make them great.

If you get fluent with it, thats when you notice the difference in my opinion, I'm not bashing the snap-ins it's more just a matter of preference in most cases.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I use them once in a while, but I work in a smaller environment... 200 users. I'm usre I would use them more often if I was in a much larger environment.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on the tool. When working with users, they come in handy for any sort of mass action. There are some that perform functionality that is not found elsewhere. For example, you have to use ntdsutil to change the AD restore mode password.

You'll learn more as you gain experience. I couldn't use CSVDE (which can also be used to import users from a csv) off the top of my head to save my life, but I know what it is and what it does, and a quick glace at a reference will allow me to do whatever I need to do.

As far as the tests go, you basically just need to know what they are, what they do, and when to use them. You're not going to be expected to execute some complex command from memory.
  • Options
    mattd75mattd75 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, thanks for the speedy responses! icon_eek.gif