Options

99% of people who hate certifcation are not certfied

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
They decide to not get certified yet still they discourage people who want to. What is their problem?
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Partly fear, partly ignorance, and partly from seeing total morons and people with no practical knowledge find a way to pass certification tests.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    My co-worker doesn't like certification and he hates to read tech books...

Why the hell is this person working in IT?

I don't understand how you make it in this field without reading tech books.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    blargoe wrote:
    Partly fear, partly ignorance, and partly from seeing total morons and people with no practical knowledge find a way to pass certification tests.

I think you hit it on the head

unfortunately people achieving an MCSE (as an example) and not yet landing any type of IT job does cheapen it a bit even for those who manage to do it legitimately let alone the people using ****.

I'd also like to add in the group that says I'm MCSE (my old boss) but it was in NT 4.0 which to my knowledge has been retired....it is one thing to say I'm an MCSE in NT 4.0 but he used to try and use it as leverage in a debate.... well I'm an MCSE so I must know more than you... yet he didn't understand NTFS permissions VS Share Permissions or believe in putting users into groups
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    blargoe wrote:
    and people with no practical knowledge find a way to pass certification tests.
    I have experienced this on a grandiose scale...many of the international "students" I saw would have access to cheats, or **** from 1 strong associate international student. Absolute morons out there with no knowledge whatsoever can acheive some of these learning milestones.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Usually those people are lazy and hate to study, but who don't. Anyway, those people are not willing to change and learn new stuff. Soon or later, they are the one that will phase out by the society.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think your statistics are a little off.I hate certs and i'm certified, most of my ccie colleagues hate certs.Its a necessary evil due to ignorant employers.The only good thing about certs is that they increase the amount of study material available.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    nice343 wrote:
    Re: 99% of people who hate certifcation are not certfied

They decide to not get certified yet still they discourage people who want to. What is their problem?

Please provide the data to back up your claim. I'd like to know where you found your statistics from.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nice343 wrote:
    What is their problem?
    Maybe 99% of them are doing drugs (other the legal ones like Alcohol, Nicotine, and Caffeine).

Just ignore them and go to your happy place -- either TechExams.net, a nice Certification Study Guide, or your home practice lab. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe, just maybe, they don't get certified because they already hate the idea of certification? I don't like smoking cigarettes so I don't...

Am I restating the obvious?

icon_wink.gif

I agree with Mike, go to your happy place :)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    nice343 wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Certification is like the IQ score; some believe in it, others don't. You don't have to be certified to be good at something. You don't have to be 'un-certified' to be bad at something. I like certification, but I don't care if some hate it. Similarly, my love for ice cream is never affected by hatered of others towards ice cream icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

I believe one's will power shouldn't be easily affected by hatered/love of other people for things.

*******Behold: Discouragement is a hoax if we have a strong will. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif ****
  • Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Certifications or not! Want a degree or not!

It just depends on the individual. Some do it to land jobs not necessarily to gain knowledge. For others increasing knowledge and certifying to proof it.

Some will even question why you need to carry an ID in your country or wear a batch at work.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    It just depends on the individual

My view on people who dont get certs is they must feel their IT career doesn't need them

I mean who would apply for a job as a Microsoft engineer without being MCP, or even a Cisco engineer without being CCNP. If someone works in say a school and they know the job well enough to tackle any issue and they are happy staying in that job for the rest of their It career then why do they need certs. I will eventually be MCSA and hope that i follow on to MCSE, this is because i would like a job with a massive salary and having this acreditation will help to get me it.

A lot of people in IT don't consider a change of job, so therefore they dont see a point to further acreditation. If these people were given 12 months notice i bet most of them would study imediately.

Lee H
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    After reading this thread, it seem that the word "certification" can be replaced with "college degree" and all of the opinions could remain the same. People think college degrees are either necessary or not needed. And of those two groups, there are people that either do or don't have a college degree. The same is true with IT certifications, so it would seem that there's nothing "certification-specific" about these arguments. Instead, this is a broader topic of whether a specific type of education is necessary or even useful.

I've had these same arguments within the contexts of programmer competency testing and martial arts certification exams. Any given person may be for or against an opinion for political, traditional, scientific, or or purely subjective reasons. In the end, people rarely change their opinions, and are simply "voted down" as the minority in the group. (If the group is not democratic, then it's the boss who will decide.)
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    nice343 wrote:

Please provide the data to back up your claim. I'd like to know where you found your statistics from.

Still looking to hear back on your source for this data? icon_rolleyes.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    The only reason I'm getting certifed is the flexability. In this modern ecomony nobody is safe from loosing jobs. So I see myself as having as much as I can tac onto my resume as possible and use what I need when I need it. I have a bunch of things in electronics that I can use on my resume and I have a bunch of IT stuff. If it gets tough for jobs I can alter my resume to make me a fit of a certain job. Thats my view of it. I will be dammed if I commit myself to 1 company to come in one day and get the boot and have no where to go because I wasn't certified.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I enjoy studying for certifications personally, it's a productive hobby for me. Better spending my time doing something that will help me rather than something that will not.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I have run into a couple people who are cert haters. The usual comment is that they are just ways of making money (the test vendors), or its not worth the cost.

Probably the silliest thing I could think of. When you think of the cost of just ONE Cisco router, compared to whatever profit they could make after they pay to develop, market, and update tests, I am sure they have priorities elsewhere.

Its just the cost of being certified does not seem like a lot to me. CCNP (assuming buying both books for each test and not failing) only costs $1000 do get. That works out to be $0.50/hr raise, to pay for itself within ONE year. For the record, my $300 CCNA got me a new job and raise of $14/hr
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends I have no I.T certs currently and I have 4 years experience working in the I.T Sector I do intend oneday to aqquire some Certs but for the meantime I gain my knowledge from doing and from reading manuals , ebooks , Books , newsletters, magazines

The thing holding me back from aqquiring Certs currently is I have lost my i.d and thus I either need to get a passport or provisonal drivers liscense to take exams.

It's just the hassle of getting somebody to sign my photographs etc which is holding me back but I will get is resolved in the new year!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Just my 2 cents...

I worked in a team of 2, just myself and my manager.

By luck or possible hard work she remained my boss for 7 years. In the last 3 years I did certifications and took time to learn new technology etc. I enjoyed it and it made my life simpler as well as bolstering my resume. I never got any real encouragement or congratulations. She was just happy to take from my extra knowledge and collecting a decent wage packet,

Now at the begining of the year she was effectivly sacked ( not officially as they are very sneeky where I worked ) and cannot get a IT job due to little hands on and never bothering to better herself. When she knew she was going she was all up for getting a MCSE, degree, etc. But it was too late.

Forward on 3 months and I left with a very respectable CV and went into a higher paid job! :D

Nuff said....
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:
    nice343 wrote:

Still looking to hear back on your source for this data? icon_rolleyes.gif

Most likely an intended hyperbole. Just study hard and ignore the naysayers.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options

Most likely an intended hyperbole. Just study hard and ignore the naysayers.

That's not my point. He made a blanket statement and I'd like to know his source.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im with the gentleman "Networker",. I like to get certificates because I set a goal for myself. I really enjoy learning new things or learning more about a subject I already know something about. I think it does help in job searches to have them but not near as much as experience. But my point is that I am gaining knowledge as well as potentially helping my career.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    the 99% was an assumption I made from my previous job where everybody though certification was garbage. The 99% is not a scientific poll
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    nice343 wrote:
    the 99% was an assumption I made from my previous job where everybody though certification was garbage. The 99% is not a scientific poll

thank you.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    who would apply for a job as a Microsoft engineer without being MCP, or even a Cisco engineer without being CCNP

Maybe someone who has tons of experiance working with it ? :D

Certs / degree's arent everything, they are a good edition to oneself though.

THe whole point of degree's and certs are to show to people you can possibly work at that certain level. i do it to bolster my knowledge and because i enjoy it. it also has a positive effect when looking for jobs etc.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plantwiz wrote:
    He made a blanket statement and I'd like to know his source.
    87% of people who make up statistics to make a point will ignore requests for the source of the statistic -- the other 13% will attribute it to some little known or made up journal.

Um, this is from the Hartford Statistics Society of Actuaries Who Work For Insurance Companies And Have Waaaaaay Too Much Time On Their Hands Journal, but you need to be a member to access it on the web. An old College friend sent me a copy.

icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't believe statistics, they can be used to prove anything. I learned that in statistics class icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    Don't believe statistics, they can be used to prove anything. I learned that in statistics class icon_wink.gif

Yes, I did too many, many years ago.

It's old reading 'stats' when their pulled clear from the air. This might have been a good discussion had there been some meat behind it. Instead it's typical Internet gossip icon_sad.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I don't think the OP was trying to make a specific point about the exact % of people, it was more to do with the fact that MOST of the time, etc etc.

"People can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that" </homer>