Options

Solutions that don't work. What if you pay for the solution?

pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I encountered this problem that windows logs in and immidiately logs off. It was my first time to face such a problem and have never heard about it.

It was really frustrating (I wonder if someone here had faced it). I knew very well it had something to do with the login file wininit.exe. I search over the net for a solution after fruitlessly spending time calling everyone I knew could help.

I came across threads that directed me to replace the wininit file with the waupdate file from the recovery console. It did not work! I went to another site with a "proposed fix" which I had to pay before I view the solution.
I had no choice since formating the HD was not an option. Guess what....? It was the same solution I found before icon_eek.gif ...perhaps copied from the site.

A solution was found later but I was unhappy even till date that I paid for something that did not solve my problem.

Comments

• Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    pryde7 wrote:
    I encountered this problem that windows logs in and immidiately logs off. It was my first time to face such a problem and have never heard about it.

It was really frustrating (I wonder if someone here had faced it). I knew very well it had something to do with the login file wininit.exe. I search over the net for a solution after fruitlessly spending time calling everyone I knew could help.

I came across threads that directed me to replace the wininit file with the waupdate file from the recovery console. It did not work! I went to another site with a "proposed fix" which I had to pay before I view the solution.
    I had no choice since formating the HD was not an option. Guess what....? It was the same solution I found before icon_eek.gif ...perhaps copied from the site.

A solution was found later but I was unhappy even till date that I paid for something that did not solve my problem.

i know how you feel. the internet is a huge place to seek or find advice, i wonder why you opt to pay rather than find something that is free. Also keep in mind that pc problems may vary. Some suggested solutions may work for your problem, some may not.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I have seen this myself, the issue i had was obvious as it was me who caused it

The profile i was logging on with had no permission to access the profile, so when i tried to login it just logged off straight away

Once i reset the permissions to the profile it worked fine.

Lee H
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Heh heh heh - good one Lee H icon_lol.gif
    I have seen that a few times when someones kids decide to secure their profiles from the other family users icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

I have seen this myself, the issue i had was obvious as it was me who caused it

The profile i was logging on with had no permission to access the profile, so when i tried to login it just logged off straight away

Once i reset the permissions to the profile it worked fine.

Lee H

That doesn't make sense. If the person logging in didn't have permission to the profile, shouldn't a new one be created or the Default Profile be used for the user??

I've seen this happen before when I was doing Help Desk...it was definitely a virus and the automatic logoff was for ANY user who tried to log on. After unsuccessfully getting rid of all of the viruses, spyware, etc., I had to install Windows in parallel, get what I needed to get, then get rid of the old Windows installation.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    pryde7 wrote:

Cavet Emptor

Sorry, it sucks you had to pay, but the rub is that you didn't have the knowledge before-hand, and well....just ask anyone who does consulting work. The second you help the client and they say "Oh that was easy I could have done that"....you know you are in for a debate because many try to weasle out of paying. The reality is, if they would have taken 10 minutes to think about it, they probably could have figured it out....instead they asked and my knowledge has some value to it. Similarly to a website...you take a chance it's going to be a simple solution.....its probably found elsewhere on the web if the person looks....just got to look.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they cannot resolve your problem, then you should pay them. File a simple complaint to the Sale Manager or the Customer Service Manager.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Kasor wrote:
    If they cannot resolve your problem, then you should pay them. File a simple complaint to the Sale Manager or the Customer Service Manager.

icon_scratch.gif

What??
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz

I have no problem paying for a solution so long as it works for me! Even if its merely turning on the AC outlet. Skill as well as commonsense must be compensated. I'm a good techy and humble enough to ask for or pay for help on something thats beyond me.

But if you get ripped off icon_exclaim.gif ...!!! Do that for a client and see the reaction!
  • Options
    pryde7 wrote:
    Plantwiz

I have no problem paying for a solution so long as it works for me! Even if its merely turning on the AC outlet. Skill as well as commonsense must be compensated. I'm a good techy and humble enough to ask for or pay for help on something thats beyond me.

But if you get ripped off icon_exclaim.gif ...!!! Do that for a client and see the reaction!

I don't rip off clients. Never have and never will.

The thing is it is common to say 'that was easy' AFTER the answer is revealed. You wanted to know, so you paid. It stinks, just chalk it up to experience and move forward. Since you paid a website to 'see an answer' that was a risk you took. I personally don't jump on site that request money for solutions because you can almost always find the discussion of the problem or similar problem on another site for free. So with your 'good techy' skills, why didn't you merely continue to search the web? Not sure why there is a need to complain about paying for something you had already discovered? Many of us pay 'stupid tax' in life....live and learn.

Besides, did you contact the webmaster before you paid to determine what sort of 'assistance' would be provided? Seems like that would have been a fair way to determine the value the site offers? Yes?
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Joshua FeinbergJoshua Feinberg Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For most non-technical small business owners that don't have an in-house IT department, they generally look to develop a long-term RELATIONSHIP with an outside consultant or consulting firm, essentially to be their Virtual IT department.

That consulting firm may be on-site at the client, or doing remote support, for 100 or more hours over the course of year.

In the course of that 100 hours, some of the advice may be a fantastic value... like 4 hours of database customization (perhaps $400) that saves tens of thousands in payroll expenses over the course of a year.

Other times, you may feel like a big Homer Simpson DOH moment, like what's described above.

In the end, it usually averages out. And that's what long-term business relationships are all about. MUTUALLY beneficial. Synergies. True win-win scenarios.

All too often, we see independent computer consultants charge SO little for their time/expertise that they can't afford to stay in business. Obviously, the client wins in the short-term in a big-time way with a bargain, albeit an unsustainable bargain. (Incidentally, if you're suffering from this same problem, visit our Web site at the URL below, sign-up for our free tips/excerpts, and we'll help you get on the right track with charging enough.)
    Joshua Feinberg, author/editorial director
    Computer Consulting Kit Home Study Course
    http://www.computerconsultingkit.net