Options

VPN own its own or with something else

Scott316xScott316x Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question about VPN. Is it better to have a router and remote access server in windows 2003 running own its own box or put it on a server that already as something running i.e. AD, DNS, DHCP, etc.. In my experance when someone is connected via the routing and remote access server it takes alot of resources. (it might have been because I was on a crappymachine.)
do not go where the path may lead....go elsewhere and leave a trail

Comments

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First, find out how many user that you need to support for remote access
    Second, look for the budget that you can use to update the memory and space, service license
    Third, the future expand of remote user
    Four, what type of connection, ISDN, DSL/Cable, ...

Look into Cisco and Citrix product. They can help you to determine what you need.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a lot of medical centres as clients and they run a Sonicwall box to VPN into - takes the load off the server.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    I have an IPsec VPN running on my Cisco router.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    If your network will be maintaining a large number of simultaneous VPN connections, it's best to find it in your budget to have a separate VPN box (router, concentrator, or firewall) and not use a server.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, even if you have the system resources available, you should not put RRAS on a DC because it's a security risk. Your DCs should be the most protected servers in your network, so putting them directly on the internet is clearly not advisable.
  • Options
    Scott316xScott316x Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to everyone's comments. It has really helped me out.
    do not go where the path may lead....go elsewhere and leave a trail