Options

Need some suggestions

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi all,

Well, yesterday was my years anniversary in my first IT position. I have learnt a lot in my first year through a mixture of support and project IT work where I have been fortunate enough to learn a vast majority of different thing's. I have got to travel to the middle east and will be going back again soon. I work with generally a very nice bunch of guys and girls who are professional and helpful in all situations. I am not gonna deny I still have a lot to learn but I will always be greaftful for the help I have received from the senior engineers at my current place of work.

Heres the thing, the cost of living where I do and what I am being paid right now is not on level terms. Pay review is coming up in february and I find myself in a situation where I need to ask for a 20% pay rise to actually get myself to my "worth", if you beleive various job sites who advertise for people with at least 6months to 1years experience and with my certs.

I really enjoy my job still and I am learning day to day, which for me is the most important thing. I also get overtime oppurtunities a lot and also being a smaller company we get various eat and drink evenings paid for us (which is a nice perk and not common for larger environments so I have been told). However, if "paid" overtime isnt available I am left with a situation where its a struggle to pay bills and actually have anything left over for all the hard work.

Come pay review time I am looking for suggestions on what to say. I have been told that they normally make an offer and then we say what we will about it. Do I reject it if its not what I want? Do i accept it but point out I am not happy with it and then secretly look for another job? Obviously I am wet behind the collar and I need some help and suggestions. I am asking for experience in these situations and I know there are people on these boards who can help me.

Kind Regards,

Pash
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi pash mate,

im glad to hear you've had a good first year! it also sounds like your working with a pretty good team. I know what your saying about your pay because ive been in the same situation aswell. i think asking for a 20% rise in any company is a no no in reality. If they are going to increase your pay it will most probably be over x number of years in incremental payments.

im in a workplace where i get very little help or any good project work to do (and ive been in IT for nearly 6 years)i just havent been able to find that job yet, so cherish your current opportunity. So what i would suggest is try and haggle for a pay rise but if i were you i would stay an extra year or 2 for more experiance, get more certs and you'll be on the road to better things. But if you say you are as bad finacially and literally cant afford rent or whatever then you will either have to find another source of income (work on the side or 2nd job) or find another with a better salary. but if you can afford to scrap it out an extra yr or 2 (but just cant afford that car you always wanted! :D ) then stay at your place and get the good experiance.

hope that helps in some way.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with nel. You are more than likely not going to get a 20% increase, especialy after only one year with the company. You seem to be getting the most important thing though which is experience. Just remeber there are probably a lot of people out there willing to take your job for less than you make now just to gain the experience. Also is there a policy for raises in your company? There may be a set amount after one year (with good performance reveiw), and there may also be a limit on raises. I would try for as much a raise as possible, but remeber you do only have one year experience and finding a job thats pays more than you make may not even be a realistic goal (as we all know a lot of the salray sites are inflated). The bottom line though is if you can't live off what they pay you, you need to find another job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only way you can haggle a 20% pay raise is through promotions or you apply for a different position at the company. Raises typically aren't going to be any more than 1-7% (my brother just got a 10.5% pay raise and he makes like 70k so there are exceptions).

I would sit down with your boss and ask him about different positions in the company. If you can apply for a system admin II or some kind of promotion. You should set up a meeting and talk about promotions if you have a good relationship with your boss as long as you aren't saying something like "well I want to make a whole lot more money". You should state it that you are looking to better yourself and wonder what opportunities you can go for and what qualifications it takes to reach. Tell him you are looking to set goals in the upcoming year.

You can probably get a good judge of what the company is willing to give.

Now that you mention it, I need to remember to schedule a 6 month performance interview with my boss. Make sure I am reaching my goals and his expectations. (this is something you should have done that you can remember to do in the future). :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hi guys,

thanks for your responses as usual, very helpful. Unfortunately, promotion wouldn't be an option for a good few years in this company. Simply because the next step for me would be senior engineer, but that requires a few years of experience minimum. People in the company have got around the 20% mark before in their first year. Although, this doesnt mean I will get the same come my pay review. I have got one more cert since I started and I have been working on another. I have worked long hours and put in hard work where needed, I also understand I need to keep this up.

I can survive on my current sallary (just about) but it would be nice not to work crazy hours most weeks just to have some left over for enjoyment....I am sure everyone understands that.

I already had a 3 month and 6 month review on performance. And both times I was told I am doing great and have very good potential for the future. But me being me, I never get carried away with this talk and will only take what they offer me at pay review as sign of potential (I dont know if this is normal).

I think the best thing I can do for now is work hard, head down, get one or two more cert's and then see what happens.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.