Jobs

xolibanzxolibanz Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a high school science teacher in England and would like to switch careers to IT. I just started studying for my N+ certification. Is it possible to get jobs only with that certification?? How much will i get paid??

Someone please help

Comments

• iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Yes you'll get jobs but you'll need experience in the field first. Try to do as much hands on networking, computer troubleshooting you can do. Every concept the books talk about try to replicate it via virtual PC or with spare switches,hubs,etc. on your own.

If you're just starting out in IT, it would probably be better to start with the A+ cert as it gives the proper foundation to build computer knowledge off of. Then after that you can pick up the N+ then into more advanced certifications.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    xolibanz,

Net+ alone, won't crack the door open I am afraid to say. Iowatech is completely right about A+ as well. In spite of my complaints about Comptia in general, A+ has gained recognition with employeers world wide. Net+ has not.

How much time are you setting aside for this career shift? Generic recommendation, A+ and CCNA in one year is resonable. You also want to learn Microsoft Access inside and out along with the rest of the Office suite.

But really you need to specialize a bit more. Interested in Databases, Linux, Windows or Cisco? Those are the areas that will get you paid. Pick one and focus after you finish your CCNA and A+.

It's my understanding Europe (correct me if I am wrong) is moving toward Linux much faster than here, so a Linux focus might just get your foot in a fast growing market. And well after Linux/Windows market share has stabilized, there will always be a need for database guys.

Either way you are asking the right questions and on the right forum.

regards,
    -Daniel
  • xolibanzxolibanz Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xolibanz wrote:
    I am a high school science teacher in England and would like to switch careers to IT. I just started studying for my N+ certification. Is it possible to get jobs only with that certification?? How much will i get paid??

Someone please help

Hi its me again thanx for the reply.I'm really interested in networking than repair/tech, ..do you still suggest A+&CCNA route??

Thanx
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    xolibanz,

I suggest it and am living it. Take a look at my certs on the left. I consider Net+ a mistake on my part. But I was in too deep once I realized it's esoteric nature. Not to mention, lack of demand.

A+ gives you the general knowledge about a computers you are going to need and it's in demand.

CCNA gives you the general knowledge you need about Networking, and it's also in demand. Combined you will get an entry level job.

Keep in mind SOHO (small office home office) networking and computer repair jobs don't pay that well unless you get government. They are just good starting points to work up to admin jobs. The best I see here in California for repairtechs/soho networking is about $15 an hour (just above a living wage for the area). While admin jobs start at about $20 around here.

Here is my path and objectives (currently)
    A+ (got me a job!)
    Net+ (I recomend skipping it!)
    CCNA (got me a job!)
    MCSA (revised eta, April)
    MCSE (revised eta, end of the year)

Of course in the UK, you might want splash some more Linux in that line up.

Perhaps... A+, Linux+, CCNA then MCSA.

What makes you want to get into computer repair?
    -Daniel
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    xolibanz wrote:

Someone please help

I would definitely recommend net+, Microsoft MCP 70-270 Windows XP and Cisco CCNA.....It would be wrong for me to comment on the A+ as I don't have that cert myself, but it does appear to be what employers look for at entry level!!!

An entry level IT job will pay anything from £15,000 up to £23,000 (maybe 25k in London City) but this will depend heavily on aptitude, knowledge and experience in the industry. Go to the below web sites and search for "support" and enter the area you want to work, this will give you a gauge if you look at 1st/2nd line support jobs in the search results.

www.jobserve.co.uk
    www.theitjobboard.co.uk
    www.cwjobs.co.uk
    Daniel333 wrote:
    It's my understanding Europe (correct me if I am wrong) is moving toward Linux much faster than here, so a Linux focus might just get your foot in a fast growing market. And well after Linux/Windows market share has stabilized, there will always be a need for database guys.

This is very true...The most significant so far was Munich Council who switched a 14000 user environment to Suse Linux desktop environment......yeah suse has pretty pictures on the GUI but any kind of migration this size requires the people with Linux/unix shell skills.

Many companies are swapping their back end boxes to Linux also for certain services i.e. squid proxy server etc, we have several production servers running Suse Linux (I would need to ask the server guys to know exactly which services though!)

The acquisition of Suse Linux by Novell in 2003 and bringing "stability" to the OS is a major factor that Linux is beginning to turn heads as a desktop OS alternative! Realistically I don't see Linux being a major challenger on the desktop for another 3-5 years, we considered it as we run a Novell environment however it's looking more and more like we will be moving to a Microsoft house.....too much red tape with Linux ATM and the major issue they will find is gaining confidence!

It is easy to roll back 1 or 2 production servers if they go knees up, with large enterprise infrastructures containing thousands of clients, not so much!
  • Poison ReversePoison Reverse Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xolibanz wrote:

Someone please help
    You can get a help desk easily I dont know how much u make there but u probalby can get 30,000 and up with the net plus.
    I'm a CCVP, so whatchya sayin'?

[quote:e64f0204e0="damsel_in_tha_net"]Oh shoot! Is that Angel Eyes? :shock:.[/quote]
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In US, the answer is no. You might want to looking a degree for a long term.

Remember, there are so many IT workers with such certification and what make you different than other. You need to have experience and something that other don't have it. IT market is not only about support.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    If you are really a complete newbie to computer networking, I recommend attempting the Network+ cert because it will give you a structured framework of networking topics to explore and learn. It's also a good first-step to the CCNA, which is much more complex and intimidating than the Network+. If you are really intent on a career in Cisco products, check out the CCENT cert to take after the Network+, and the CCNA cert thereafter.

But as others have said, it's very unlikely anyone will hand you a job for only having a Network+ cert.