Options

Microsoft response point. The next big thing in VOIP?

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
http://www.microsoft.com/responsepoint/

do you guys think This will kick Cisco out of the VOIP world like microsoft did to netscape in Internet browsing?

Microsoft response point is much easier to implemement than cisco. It requires you to know the basics of IP telephony though.

It has so many advantages its not even funny.If you want to call lets say john on his extention 1234.

All you have to do is pick up the phone and say call john.

plus when it comes to cost it is less expensive than cisco the downside to response point is it only supports 50 users while a cisco router loaded with call manager express support up to 240 phones

If I am Cisco CEO I will be worried
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you seen the unified messaging in Exchange 2007? That's some pretty amazing stuff as well.

I don't see Cisco going anywhere. Cisco seems to innovate pretty quickly, and it's a whole different ball game when hardware is involved (as opposed to simply bundling a browser with the OS). It's good to see competition because that creates better products and/or lower prices. Interesting link though -- thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know about John Chambers, but since a Cisco CallManager Cluster can support up to 30,000 IP enabled voice devices and you can add other clusters and build huge Voice Networks, I'm not going to worry about it.

If you want to compare this to a Cisco Voice Solution, you may want to look at the Linksys stuff.... but the Linksys stuff (and anything else you can buy at Walmart) isn't covered as part of the CCVP, so I'm not sure anyone really thinks of that as the Cisco Voice Solution.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Voice is a big market and is continuing to grow. To be honest I think there is/will be room for both.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Something I notice on the Response Point website is that it seems to be geared towards small business, as opposed to Cisco's aspirations to be the be-all and end-all of enterprise VoIP solutions. Again, probably won't stop the two companies from clashing over marketshare, but it seems they're aiming for different customers. Also, I think that Microsoft will probably market their VoIP software towards their existing customers, ones who are already running Windows servers and may not have a very good VoIP solution in the first place, as opposed to aiming their guns at having people toss out their existing (and very expensive) VoIP infrastructure. The hardware-partners they talk about, like D-Link, definitely speaks more to the small-to-midsize business, the kind of companies that would be using Shoretel, TrixBox, or even Comcast's VoIP services.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Voice is a big market and is continuing to grow. To be honest I think there is/will be room for both.

This is how I feel about it too. The market is huge and there are a lot of great VoIP solutions out there. We are a medium sized business and we just rolled out Fonality's PBXtra with the HUD systems and I think it is very cool. Especially the reporting side of the application becuase you can get so much information from the data it collects. It has some awesome graphing tools as well.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    I will be implementing this VOIP solution in the coming weeks.

Should be fun :D
  • Options
    just got my Microsoft response point voip network about 80% up and running

Boy this feels like magic :D
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Let us know how it works out. I'm quite interested.
  • Options
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Let us know how it works out. I'm quite interested.

the whole thing supports 50 users Maximum. It does anything that a small business wants. From voice recognition to voice mail being sent in an email attachement file to call being routed over to a cellphone of a user when the user is not on his desk. I am really impressed. It took me less than 2 days to get this up and running

You will have to put the voice on the same network as the data you don't need a voice vlan like cisco. The question one might ask is, doesn't it affect your voice quality? And the answer is no. I don't know how Microsoft did it but the voice quality is clear! I might start implementing this techology for small business and make some extra money on the side. The gateway only supports 10 - 15 anology lines with built in DID. You can select some calls to bypass the auto attentant. T1 connection to the PSTN is not suppoted yet.
    You can let auto attendant answer incoming calls or let a dedicated receptionist handle it or you can cause all the phones in the company to ring when a call comes in

for more information just look over this pdf file
    http://www.syspine.com/picture/Syspine%20DOS-A50%20User%20Manual.pdf
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This has actually piqued my interest as well. For a 25-phone setup with 6 external lines, it's just under $8k for the equipment and installation. TBH, that's not as much as I was expecting it to be. I could shave about $2.5-3k off of that if I did it myself, but I'm clueless on the PSTN side of things...
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know if anyone here knows, but I'm curious. With Cisco CM, and using cisco VOIP's etc..you setup dial peers to route all your calls based on dial prefixes. How does this solution work as far as dial-peers? Just curious..I don't know anything about the MS side of things, but I have dealt with Cisco VOIP a decent bit.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote:
    I don't know if anyone here knows, but I'm curious. With Cisco CM, and using cisco VOIP's etc..you setup dial peers to route all your calls based on dial prefixes. How does this solution work as far as dial-peers? Just curious..I don't know anything about the MS side of things, but I have dealt with Cisco VOIP a decent bit.

With this Response point, every name typed in the Response point administrator and assigned a phone is automatically voice recognized. So if you want to make a call you just Press the "reponse point button" on the phone and say the name or just dial the extention

Response point is Microsoft's call manager. Except you don't have to worry about phones loads and what not like cisco.

This system is the best for a small business but if you have multiple branch offices this might not be the best VOIP solution to implement. If you have 50 users or less then bravo!!!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks. I read a short article on it, but finally just watched the demo. That's pretty cool. I don't know what I would do without all the detailed configs. It is cool how much that combines the data and voice..it's no longer two completely separate systems.