Options

Quick question about print servers

JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just reading over the section on print servers in the MS press book for 290. I know you're supposed to set up a logical printer on the server to which all the clients point their printers. Seems like if you had a few hundred clients it would be a pain to add printers on all the clients still. Is there a way to "publish" a printer to all the clients or is manual installation on the client the only way?

Comments

• Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    You can use a logon script to automatically 'publish' it to all of your clients. Take a look at this link -> http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/LogonScript_Printer_Method.htm

Regards,

IP
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks, that's exaclty what I was lookin' for.
  • Options
    newbiextnewbiext Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This might be off topic, but i remember seeing a deploy printers option in Group Policy in Windows 2003 Server R2.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    newbiext wrote:
    This might be off topic, but i remember seeing a deploy printers option in Group Policy in Windows 2003 Server R2.

there is an option when adding a local printer to make it available in AD
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    I know that people also use "pushprinterconnection.exe" for deploying printers as well which is a Windows utility.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    intelamdcpuintelamdcpu Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how about making a batch file, using a command net use lpt, then add it in GPO?