Options

Best ways to Retain Knowledge?

Sanis4lifeSanis4life Banned Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do you folks best retain the knowledge you learn in the CCNP? I ask this, because although i work on networks, i hardly every do routing. I am now learning the BSCI, and man there is alot to learn, which makes it hard to retain everything.

My Way? For example, I have my Dynampis setup for EIGRP and I am reading the EIGRP chapters for the second time and trying to simulate the commands and draw it out on white boards. Hopefully this will help long term memory.

So how do you best retain what you learn?

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    "If I read it, I forgot, if I see it, I remember, and if I do it, I understand"

Not sure where that quote is from but I think it holds pretty true. I usually get the concepts in my head via videos and books, then apply then in a lab which is usually where I remember it.

For example you get a question like "how do you see OSPF neighbors", it is easier for me to think, what command would I type? Instead of what page in a book talked about the command?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Working with the material is one of the best ways to solidify it in long term memory. When I'm studying, many things "click" when I work through lab exercises, practice with Transcender, or any other task that forces me to think critically about the material. Another thing you can try, pretend you're giving a lecture on the material, and actually prepare for it. Also, think of any common questions or misunderstandings that will arise. Determining a way to explain complex material will really force you to critically analyze the material.
  • Options
    Good advice about preparing for a lecture. I also like the idea of thinking about questions by relating them to commands. I will have to try both of them. The only downside i can see with the lecture is the amount of time it will take to prepare and complete the BSCI.

"Slow and steady wins the race."
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    Anything that has to do memorization is tough. Weather it's the commands or the information about something. It's hard for me to sit in a room and just read over my notes to memorize let's say the AD's of each routing protocol. For me i like to make notes or flash cards of commands and stuff and take it to the gym. Look over the stuff between sets or doing carido. Just read the stuff over and repeat it in my mind during the workout. that's how that helps.

I'll tell you the BSCI lab book is really helping in terms of the commands. I agree that if your actually doing it..you'll learn it A LOT better. So if you can get your hands on a sim or some equipment definatly try to do some labs.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me it's repitition. I like to read and then reflect. I will read 20 or 30 pages and then stop and think very deeply about what I just read for a couple minutes. I will think about how I could apply it, when it might arise, I kinda go over hypothetical situations in my head. Then I start reading again. If I don't fully understand a chapetr I might read it 2 or 3 times in a row. When I'm studying for a cert. I might read 1 book 2 or 3 times because of how many times I have went back and reread something. But I do not move on to something new untill I have a full understanding of what I just read.

having multiple perspectives on a topic helps me a lot as well I might have a ebook and a hardbook open at once, or a book and cisco DOCS, ect.... Reading each piece of material on that single topic helps drive things in.

Then of course implementing the topics with gear is another method of perception.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Yep, repitition for me too.

I recall reading that within a week, 80% of new information that is only read is forgotten. So, I also do the long reflection/meditation (no, not transcendental or anything like that!) on new material, like NS described, to make it make sense.

Knowing about the 80% rule, I like to go back over material 8-10 days later, and re-read. I'm always amazed how much is forgotten. However, this reminder method always lasts longest with me.

@dynamik... you're not wrong. It's a huge "secret" among professional students that in order to explain a topic to someone else, you have to fully understand it. To go one step further, there's no better way to partner-train than to find someone to present to... and then hear their presentations. It's surprising what stands out to someone, but is just background noise to someone else.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best way to retain something is to stand up in front of 24 students and try to explain it to them :)

That'll motivate you to get it right
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikearama wrote:
    I recall reading that within a week, 80% of new information that is only read is forgotten. So, I also do the long reflection/meditation (no, not transcendental or anything like that!) on new material, like NS described, to make it make sense.

I've posted this a few times, but here are retention stats that we covered in the training and development section of an I/O pysch course I took:

People remember…
    – 10% of what they read
    – 20% of what they hear
    – 30% of what they see (e.g. videos)
    – 50% of what they hear & see
    – 70% of what they say & write
    – 90% of what they say & do

You can clearly see why instruction has massive benefits.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others stated - repetition - is how I get it all figured out. I pretty much read the books and take notes. Make flash cards, quiz myself. I do labs to fully understand the concepts and I reread the books easily 3-4 times. Granted that is how I passed the CCNA... I havent done any CCNP exams yet but I forsee it going down the same way.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd go with repetition, reading, repetition, hands on practice, repetition, review, and repetition. Did I mention hands on practice?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    I'd go with repetition, reading, repetition, hands on practice, repetition, review, and repetition. Did I mention hands on practice?

Could you repeat that, please? :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    dynamik wrote:
    mikearama wrote:

I've posted this a few times, but here are retention stats that we covered in the training and development section of an I/O pysch course I took:

People remember…
    – 10% of what they read
    – 20% of what they hear

Well...that certainly explains why I seem to remember things a lot better when I take notes about them, even though I almost never look at my notes again. At one point I was considering not taking any notes anymore...I've learned that not taking notes is a bad...bad...bad thing.
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • Options
    And if no one has mentioned it yet -- repetition. :D
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    c0d3_w0lf wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    mikearama wrote:

People remember…
    – 10% of what they read
    – 20% of what they hear

Well...that certainly explains why I seem to remember things a lot better when I take notes about them, even though I almost never look at my notes again. At one point I was considering not taking any notes anymore...I've learned that not taking notes is a bad...bad...bad thing.

yep im the same way. it seems I retain MUCH MORE when I write it down as opposed to just reading it.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    repetition
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    nice343 wrote:
    repetition
    along with review and hands-on practice. :D

The more times you read your books, notes, flashcards and watch your CBTs and practice your hands-on skills, the better.
    dynamik wrote:
    And talk yourself through your lab practice sessions and make your own video CBTs (with explanations, demonstrations, and practical applications).
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I can't believe no one's mentioned the obvious answer yet...

REPETITION.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    You need to be careful how you go about repetition. Simply going over flashcards for eight hours straight in attempt to beat facts into your head is not the most advantageous strategy. That time would be much better spent in one-hour sessions over eight days or half-hour sessions over sixteen.

Your mind recognizes recurring information, and as a result, it will eventually transfer it to long-term memory (this is obviously an oversimplification -- pick up a cognitive psych book if you're interested). However, this assumes you genuinely want to learn the material, not just cram to pass an exam ;)

I think a good strategy would be to gradually increase the length of time between your review sessions. You may need fairly intense sessions at the onset, but as you progress, start waiting 1, 3, 5, etc. days between review sessions.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Figured I'd put my .02 in, cause although I don't have a CCIE, and am working on the CCNP now, I have a very good understanding of the concepts I do know. I think everyone is saying GREAT advice but I'd like to say that:

Repetition is good when used in conjunction with other methods..ie: doing the lab over and over, throwing curveballs at yourself, tearing down, building up. I don't think regular flashcard repetition is a good way to prepare for a test as a whole, although it's not a bad thing for remembering simple facts (port #'s, commands) that have no underlying theory. I am pretty big on understanding, not just passing so doing it is a big deal. Not to mention, in a way, doing a lab over and over IS experience you can apply for a job. It's not on paper, but you can say "yea, I was doing this scenario one time, and it acted the same way.." etc.
  • Options
    This is all great advice! I decided I will use flash cards for each section i will be going over, ie EIGRP, trunking, VLAN's. Of course I will be doing labs, but I will continue to use the cards to write down stuff I missed or I found useful. I think the use of cards are not for just memorizing. It is a chance for you to paraphrase what you just read and could later on use. There have been many times were i forgot something I read, and it would have been useful if I had paraphrased flash cards to go over a little quicker.

I will probably go over a few different books and CBT's about one subject then hit the labs continually about that subject, until i understand it. It will probably take me awhile to do this, but I think it will work out better in the end.

Thanks for all the advice :)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use sites like this one to answer questions people have. Figure out their problem and tell them what they are doing wrong (be confident). You are researching/learning/understanding/teaching which is the 4 techniques that I use to retain knowledge.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are seeking to memorize a bunch of technical material you will not succeed. You must seek to understand if you expect to recall the material, and more importantly, use it. This usually means studying longer than expected on minute details. This means throwing your schedule out the window in the interest of being a competent professional, rather than a paper-wannabe.

Just my 2-cents.

Do with it what you will...